Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Applied Physics PhD v. Masters Engineering v. getting a job with BS

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    Noob questions on behalf of my daughter, who graduates with a BS in Physics from a research uni next semester and has a decidedly deer-in-the-headlights approach to post-graduate career path. 3.3 GPA in a program with a fair bit of chemistry/biochem/biophysics experience (contemplated MD/PhD route but no longer interested), and working in a nanotech lab. Enjoys hands-on problem solving, technical challenges, non-academic career, good at math, not a programmer. I know this is vague but her interests are simply not that refined at this point. As an academic myself I see intrinsic value in spending the time in training that is required to get a PhD, but perhaps this is not necessary (or even desirable). However, I suspect it is relatively rare to enter a doctoral program after being out in the real world (correct me if i am wrong), and I'd hate to see that door shut if there is value to having a PhD in applied science.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

while I do not know the statistics, I went to grad school with several folks who worked a number of years after undergrad before going back to school. I also work with a lot of people who went back after working a few years. My company is often "losing" people to graduate school, although many times they come back when they are finished. The group i work in is losing one such person this fall. So not doing graduate work right out of undergrad does not automatically close any doors as far as I can tell.

jason

4. Aug 12, 2010 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

I spent time in industry before grad school, and I would estimate 1 or 2 people per entering class did. I know of one gentleman who retired, earned his PhD (at 55), and spent the rest of his working career as a physicist. (He was also the son of a famous academic)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook