Applying ln to a graph: where would it be continuous?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt to prepare for a final by looking over an old midterm without any given answers. They ask for the correct answer and explanation, and mention their own thoughts on the possible answers. Another student clarifies the question and confirms the correct answer.
smeiste

Homework Statement

IMG_0557.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm looking over in old midterm to prepare for a final and can't figure out what the correct answer is. No answers were ever given. I'm not cheating on anything, would just like to know what the correct answer is and why :)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is either B or C but I can't decide.

Physics news on Phys.org
smeiste said:

Homework Statement

IMG_0557.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm looking over in old midterm to prepare for a final and can't figure out what the correct answer is. No answers were ever given. I'm not cheating on anything, would just like to know what the correct answer is and why :)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is either B or C but I can't decide.
What is the domain of ln(u) ?

um positive numbers only.

smeiste said:
um positive numbers only.

Ok, so where is g(x) positive?

from zero to infinity

smeiste said:
from zero to infinity

I meant for what values of 'x' is g(x) positive? That's what you need to know.

smeiste said:
from zero to infinity
The question is: "For what values of x is g(x) greater than zero?" Don't forget that in order for g(x) > 0, x must also be in the domain of g.

ohh okay. so the answer is B?

smeiste said:
ohh okay. so the answer is B?

B is right.

1. What is the purpose of applying ln to a graph?

The purpose of applying ln to a graph is to transform the data into a logarithmic scale, which can help to better visualize and analyze the relationship between variables.

2. How do you apply ln to a graph?

To apply ln to a graph, you first need to plot the data points on a Cartesian plane. Then, you can take the natural logarithm of each data point and plot the new points on the same graph. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to automatically apply ln to the data and plot the results.

3. Where would ln be continuous on a graph?

The natural logarithm function, ln(x), is continuous for all positive values of x. This means that on a graph, ln would be continuous for all values of x greater than 0.

4. What does it mean for a function to be continuous on a graph?

A function is considered continuous on a graph if there are no breaks or gaps in the graph. This means that the graph is a smooth, unbroken curve without any sudden jumps or interruptions. In other words, the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

5. Can ln be applied to any type of data?

The natural logarithm function can be applied to any data that is represented by positive numbers. However, it is most commonly used for data that shows exponential growth or decay, as it can help to linearize the relationship between variables on a graph.