Applying the Biot-Savart Law to solenoids

In summary, the student attempted to find the magnetic field for an arbitrary solenoid using the Biot-Savart Law, but found himself stuck due to the difficulty in solving the general case numerically.
RawrSpoon
Not really homework but I figured this was the best place to post anyway.

1. Homework Statement

I want to find the magnetic field B for an arbitrary solenoid using the Biot-Savart Law. I can find it easily through Ampere's Law, but I'd like mastery over the Biot-Savart Law.

Homework Equations

[tex]B=\frac{μ_{0}}{4\pi}\int \frac{K \times (r-r')}{|r-r'|^3}da' [/tex]
As there's no curly r as used in Griffiths Electrodynamnics, I'll replace curly r with an arbitrary symbol γ such that
[tex]\gamma=r-r'[/tex]
Thus
[tex]\hat{\gamma}=\frac {r-r'}{|r-r'|}[/tex]
And so
[tex]B=\frac{μ_{0}}{4\pi}\int \frac{K \times \hat{\gamma}}{\gamma^2}da' [/tex]
Maybe unnecessary but perhaps not. I just enjoy that notation as it's what I'm used to.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

As K is the surface charge density, I'll make the supposition that
[tex]K=\frac{NI}{L}=nI[/tex]
where N is the number of turns on the solenoid, and L is the length of said solenoid.

And this is where I get stuck. Whereas I easily found the magnetic field due to a single loop of wire, the solenoid having length makes me be very unsure as to where to even begin. Whereas a loop of wire has γ easily defined as
[tex]\gamma=\sqrt {R^2+x^2}[/tex]
where R is the radius of the loop of wire and x is the distance of an arbitrary point M along the same axis as the loop

I've found that γ at the part of the solenoid closest to M is equal to
[tex]\gamma=\sqrt {R^2+x^2}[/tex]
the part of the solenoid furthest from M gives a γ of
[tex]\gamma=\sqrt {R^2+(x+L)^2}[/tex]

I'm really lost. This doesn't mean I haven't tried my hardest or I'm being lazy. Any attempt to solve in a similar manner to that of a loop of wire ends up giving me multiple integrals that become a massive headache really quickly. Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. If anything is unclear, let me know so I can try to either clarify my language or even attempt to draw a (likely very poor quality) image.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps example 30.33 here ? It's already pretty hefty.
But I suppose you already went through that and now want a real challenge.
However, the general case is probably done numerically most of the time ('using software' http://physicspages.com/2013/04/15/solenoid-field-from-biot-savart-law/says :) ).

I hadn't done one like that problem actually so thank you so much for that! And I'm a little disappointed the integrals are very difficult by hand, but at least now I know a little better when to use Ampere's Law. Thank you.

1. How do I apply the Biot-Savart Law to a solenoid?

To apply the Biot-Savart Law to a solenoid, you will need to first determine the current flowing through the solenoid and the distance from the solenoid to the point of interest. Then, use the formula B = μ0 * (I * N)/L to calculate the magnetic field at that point, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, and L is the length of the solenoid.

2. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the line connecting the point to the wire.

3. Can the Biot-Savart Law be applied to any shape of wire?

Yes, the Biot-Savart Law can be applied to any shape of wire, as long as the current and distance to the point of interest are known. However, it is most commonly used for straight wires, circular loops, and solenoids.

4. What are the units for the Biot-Savart Law?

The units for the Biot-Savart Law are Tesla (T) for magnetic field, Ampere (A) for current, meter (m) for length, and Henry (H) for inductance. However, it is important to note that the units for permeability (μ0) can vary depending on the unit system being used.

5. How accurate is the Biot-Savart Law when applied to real-life situations?

The Biot-Savart Law is a simplified model and may not accurately predict the magnetic field in all real-life situations. Factors such as the shape and composition of the wire, as well as external magnetic fields, can affect the accuracy of the results. In some cases, more complex equations or simulations may be necessary for more accurate predictions.