Approximating ln(x): Taylor Series Problem Solution

In summary: Don't worry about it. Yes, it is a trivial problem, but it's one of these things you had to see before knowing you could do that.
jsewell94

Homework Statement

The first three terms of a Taylor Series centered about 1 for [itex]ln(x)[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\frac{x^{3}}{3}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{3x^{2}}{2}[/itex] + [itex]3x[/itex] - [itex]\frac{11}{6}[/itex]

and that

[itex]\int{ln(x)dx}[/itex] = [itex]xlnx - x + c[/itex]

Show that an approximation of [itex]ln(x)[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\frac{x^3}{12}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{3x}{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{4x}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I have tried this problem a few times, but it is becoming clear that I am missing some crucial step/idea. Basically, what I have tried is setting lnx equal to the Taylor Series, integrating both sides, and solving for lnx. However, when I do this, I manage to get all of the necessary terms EXCEPT for the 1/4x. Where does that come from, exactly? If someone could help, that'd be awesome! :D

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you likely forgot the +C. C is a constant and should equal some number. What do you think that number is?

micromass said:
I think you likely forgot the +C. C is a constant and should equal some number. What do you think that number is?

Does c = 1 because the center is at 1?

Even if that is the case, I'm not sure how I would get 1/4x from that.

jsewell94 said:
Does c = 1 because the center is at 1?

No.

What do you get after you subsitute ln(x) with the polynomial and integrate it??

Please don't judge my slowness :( I'm really not bad at math. I just haven't done any of my homework, lol.

micromass said:
No.

What do you get after you subsitute ln(x) with the polynomial and integrate it??

After you integrate the polynomial, you get:

[itex]\frac{x^4}{12}-\frac{x^3}{2}+3x^2-\frac{11x}{6} + c[/itex]

Which is what I did, and then set it equal to [itex]xln(x)-x+C[/itex]

But every time I do that, I get the wrong thing :( (meaning, I don't get the 1/4x)

I feel like I'm misunderstanding the nudges that you are giving me, lol.

jsewell94 said:
After you integrate the polynomial, you get:

[itex]\frac{x^4}{12}-\frac{x^3}{2}+3x^2-\frac{11x}{6} + c[/itex]

OK, that's good (although the middle term should be [itex]\frac{3x^2}{2}[/itex])

Which is what I did, and then set it equal to [itex]xln(x)-x+C[/itex]

But every time I do that, I get the wrong thing :( (meaning, I don't get the 1/4x)

I feel like I'm misunderstanding the nudges that you are giving me, lol.

What you should get is

[tex]\frac{x^4}{12}-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{2}-\frac{11x}{6} + c = x ln(x)-x+C[/tex]

Yes, the constant of integration c and the other constant C are distinct in general, so you can't eliminate them! This is likely your mistake.

The above is equivalent to:

[tex]\frac{x^4}{12}-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{3x^2}{2}-\frac{11x}{6} = x ln(x)-x+(C-c)[/tex]

Can you figure out what number C-c is?? (we're not interested in the specific values of C and c here, we just want a number instead of constants).

micromass said:
OK, that's good (although the middle term should be [itex]\frac{3x^2}{2}[/itex])
That's what I actually got, I just mistyped it :/

micromass said:
Yes, the constant of integration c and the other constant C are distinct in general, so you can't eliminate them! This is likely your mistake.
I know :D That's why I denoted one as c and the other as C.

micromass said:
Can you figure out what number C-c is?? (we're not interested in the specific values of C and c here, we just want a number instead of constants).

This is where I am confused..Like, I'm not trying to sound annoyingly difficult, but I honestly have no idea what to do with the C-c. :( I understand that it is just some number, but I have absolutely no clue what that number is or how to get it.

My confidence in my math skills is quickly plummeting :(

I mean, I assume it is 1/4, because that is what I am trying to prove. But what is the reasoning behind that?

Maybe you can substitute in some value for x and see what you get??

For example, if I want to determine a constant C such that

[tex]\sin(x)=x^2+x+C[/tex]

Then I can substitute in x=0 and get

[itex]0=C[/itex].

Can you do something like that to determine C-c?

Wow..Oh my freaking gosh, I think I am going to go into a corner and cry. I am so stupid :(

Thanks for the help :( I got it now :(

jsewell94 said:
Wow..Oh my freaking gosh, I think I am going to go into a corner and cry. I am so stupid :(

Thanks for the help :( I got it now :(

Don't worry about it. Yes, it is a trivial problem, but it's one of these things you had to see before knowing you could do that.

Instead of feeling depressed, you should feel happy because you found a new technique! I bet that next time (on a test perhaps), you won't forget how to do this! :-p

That's not even a "new technique." That is basic, elementary calculus that everyone should know how to do. Plugging in a given value and solving for C is something that every Calc student learns the moment they learn integration. I am in calculus 2 and didn't even consider it.

AKA, I think my feelings of idiocy are justified :P

Related to Approximating ln(x): Taylor Series Problem Solution

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function based on its derivatives at a specific point.

2. How is a Taylor Series calculated?

A Taylor Series is calculated using the derivatives of a function at a specific point. The general formula for a Taylor Series is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... where a is the point at which the series is centered.

3. What is the purpose of a Taylor Series?

The purpose of a Taylor Series is to approximate a function and its values at a specific point. It can also be used to find the derivatives of a function at that point.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Maclaurin Series?

A Taylor Series is a representation of a function at a specific point, while a Maclaurin Series is a special case of a Taylor Series where the point of approximation is at x=0. In other words, a Maclaurin Series is a Taylor Series centered at x=0.

5. What are some applications of Taylor Series?

Taylor Series are used in various fields of science and engineering to approximate functions, solve equations, and model real-world phenomena. They are commonly used in physics, statistics, and computer graphics.