Approximation of a function with another function

In summary, the two functions, f1 and f2, approach equal values as x and y approach infinity, but the function f1 becomes less and less important as x and y approach the limit.
umby
Hi,
I am wondering if it is possible to demonstrate that:

integral1.png

tends to

integral2.png

in the limit of both x and y going to infinity.

In this case, it is needed to introduce a measure of the error of the approximation, as the integral of the difference between the two functions? Can this be viewed as a norm in some space? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1603111205645.png
    1603111205645.png
    476 bytes · Views: 157
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm missing something ( I've only just woken up!) but it looks to me as though neither integral converges, as there will be some ##x'## such that ##\forall x>x'## both integrands exceed
$$\frac12 t^{-\frac32}\exp\left(\frac{\varepsilon^2t}2 \right)$$
which increases without limit, as the second term dominates the first.

If that's right then there can be no such approximation, as neither integral exists.

Likes umby
You are full right! It was my fault. Unfortunately, I cannot write formulae correctly in this forum, so I did a picture of my integrals, but the resolution was very bad.
The correct integrals are:
integr1.jpg

and
integ2.jpg
I lost the minus in the conversion process.
You can interpret x and y as related by the equation ##r^2 = x^2+y^2##.
For example, for ε = 0.01 (I am interested in the case where ε > 0), but the same happen for other values of ε, for x and y increasing along the diagonal, i.e. x = y, for x going from 0.005 to 0.6 with pass 0.05, the difference between the two integrals are:
##-0.771824, 0.00263352, 0.000352526, 0.000105135, 0.0000440287, 0.0000223273, 0.000012822,##
##8.04215 10^{-6}, 5.38984 10^{-6}, 3.80475 10^{-6}, 2.8007 10^{-6}, 2.13405 10^{-6}##
The same happens if x is constant and y increases, or if y is constant and x increases. As long as r increase the difference between the two integrals goes to zero.

Many thanks for your interest. I am grateful.

umby said:
Unfortunately, I cannot write formulae correctly in this forum
Click on the "LaTeX Guide" link at the lower left of the Edit window. That will show you how to post such equations using LaTeX. :smile:

1603204834151.png

##\int^{\infty }_0{\frac{e^{-\ \ \frac{1}{2{\varepsilon }^2\ }\left[\frac{{(x-{\varepsilon }^2t)}^2+y^2}{t+1}\right]}}{\sqrt{t}(t+1)}}dt##
berkeman said:
Click on the "LaTeX Guide" link at the lower left of the Edit window. That will show you how to post such equations using LaTeX. :smile:

View attachment 271275
thank you, it was helpful

Likes berkeman
umby said:
thank you, it was helpful
You're very welcome. BTW, using the double-# renders the LaTeX in-line (generally smaller font), and double-$ renders the LaTeX on separate lines, like this:

$$\int^{\infty }_0{\frac{e^{-\ \ \frac{1}{2{\varepsilon }^2\ }\left[\frac{{(x-{\varepsilon }^2t)}^2+y^2}{t+1}\right]}}{\sqrt{t}(t+1)}}dt$$

Likes umby
As x and y go to infinity, the exponential is going to go to zero very fast, so the bulk of the integral is going to be concentrated near t=0. I think the t vs t+1 in the denominators are going to make a huge difference. I would be surprised if they were close to the same value (even in relative terms). Have you plugged it into Wolfram alpha or something to check?

Likes umby
You are very kind.

##\int_0^{\infty } \frac{\text{Exp}\left[-\frac{1 }{2 \eta ^2} \left(\frac{\left(\xi -\eta ^2 \tau \right)^2+\psi ^2}{(\tau +1)}+\frac{\zeta^2}{\tau }\right)\right]}{\sqrt{\tau } (\tau +1)} \, d\tau##

Office_Shredder said:
As x and y go to infinity, the exponential is going to go to zero very fast, so the bulk of the integral is going to be concentrated near t=0. I think the t vs t+1 in the denominators are going to make a huge difference. I would be surprised if they were close to the same value (even in relative terms). Have you plugged it into Wolfram alpha or something to check?
Thank for your message.
Let's call ##f1## the function:
##
\pmb{\text{f1}=\frac{\text{Exp}\left[-\frac{1 }{2 \epsilon ^2} \left(\frac{\left(x-\epsilon ^2 t \right)^2+y^2}{t +1}\right)\right]}{\sqrt{t} (t +1)}}\\##
And ##f2## the function:
##\pmb{\text{f2}=\frac{\text{Exp}\left[-\frac{1 }{2 \epsilon ^2} \left(\frac{\left(x-\epsilon ^2 t \right)^2+y^2}{t }\right)\right]}{\sqrt{t }t }}##

In the figure, plots of ##f1## and ##f2## are reported for increasing values of ##x## and ##y## (##f1## in blue ##f2## in red).
prove.png

##f1## goes to infinity as ##t –> 0## and to 0 as ##t->\infty ##. Between the two asymptotic branches, ##f1## presents a bump. ##f2## goes to zero both as ##t –> 0## and as ##t->\infty ##. However, the asymptotic branch of ##f1## close to ##t = 0## becomes less and less important for the integration as ##x## and ##y## increase. At the same time, increasing ##x## and ##y##, the bump of ##f1## increases and the two functions get closer and closer. In this conditions, the difference between the two integrals progressively decreases. This is valid for any ##\epsilon>0## and if
##x## is constant and y increase,
##y## is constant and x increases,
both ##x## and ##y## increase.
It is possible to demonstrate this?

Last edited:
umby said:
It is possible to demonstrate this?
Yes.

Since we focus on limits as ##x,y\to\infty##, we can assume without loss of generality that ##\frac x{2\varepsilon^2}>1##. We then note that the integrals from 0 to ##\infty## equal the sum of the integrals over the intervals ##(0,1),\ \left(1,\frac x{2\varepsilon^2}\right)
,\ \left(\frac x{2\varepsilon^2}, \frac {3x}{2\varepsilon^2}\right)## and
##\left(\frac {3x}{2\varepsilon^2}, \infty\right)##.

We show that each of those integrals goes to 0 as ##x,y\to\infty##. I have done this and can confirm that it is indeed the case. I won't post my work at present though, as I wouldn't want to spoil the enjoyment of proving it for yourself :cool:

Proving that the limit is zero doesn't tell us anything about how rapidly the integrals approach the limit, so I fear even that proof won't assist in estimating error bounds.

Likes umby
andrewkirk said:
as I wouldn't want to spoil the enjoyment of proving it for yourself
I will enjoy reading your proof anyway, if not more. :smile:

I missed that it goes to zero near zero as well.
How similar do you want the integrals to be? If it's just they both go to zero, then they converge to each other the same way they converge to, for example,

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2+y^2} e^{-t} dt$$.

Or do you care that the relative difference between them goes to zero?

Likes umby
Office_Shredder said:
I missed that it goes to zero near zero as well.
How similar do you want the integrals to be? If it's just they both go to zero, then they converge to each other the same way they converge to, for example,

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2+y^2} e^{-t} dt$$.

Or do you care that the relative difference between them goes to zero?
Dear Office_Shredder, you are right. Both functions go to zero as ##x->0##, or ##y->0##, or both go to zero. Then, it is obvious that, under the same condition, their difference goes to zero as well.
Actually, I was looking for a way to solve this integral:
##\int_0^{\infty } \frac{\exp \left(-\frac{\left(x-s^2 t\right)^2+y^2}{(t+1) \left(2 \epsilon ^2\right)}\right)}{\sqrt{t} (t+1)} \, dt##.
And I am interested to find the solution in the limit of ##x->0## and ##y->0##. Unfortunately, it seems that this integral cannot be solved symbolically. For this reason, I was looking for a way of approximating the integrand function under these limits. The function
##\frac{\text{Exp}\left[-\frac{1 }{2 \epsilon ^2} \left(\frac{\left(x-\epsilon ^2 t \right)^2+y^2}{t }\right)\right]}{\sqrt{t }t }##,
appeared to be a good candidate for the properties that I have shown. By the way, this function can be symbolically integrated from ##0## to ##\infty##. Some time ago, I read about ##L_p## approximation of a function ##f1## as the function ##f2## which satisfies the condition
##\int \left| \text{f1}(t)-\text{f2}(t)\right| ^p \, dt##.
In our case both functions are ##>0##, their difference is ##>0##, and ##p=1##, so that we should have the mean-power approximation. Indeed,
##\int_0^{\infty } \left(\frac{\exp \left(-\frac{\left(x-s^2 t\right)^2+y^2}{(t+1) \left(2 \epsilon ^2\right)}\right)}{\sqrt{t} (t+1)}-\frac{\exp \left(-\frac{\left(x-s^2 t\right)^2+y^2}{t \left(2 \epsilon ^2\right)}\right)}{\sqrt{t} t}\right) \, dt##
goes to zero as ##x## and ##y## ##->\infty##.

After your comment I have many doubts however.
Should we look for a function which minimizes the relative difference with the target function?
The relative difference has to be intended as:
##\frac{\left| \text{f1}(t)-\text{f2}(t)\right| }{\text{f1}(t)}##?
Or maybe there is a different solution to the starting problem?

1. What is the purpose of approximating a function with another function?

Approximation of a function with another function is a useful mathematical technique used to simplify complex functions and make them more manageable for analysis. It allows us to represent a function with a simpler, more easily understood function, while still retaining the important characteristics of the original function.

2. How is a function approximated with another function?

There are various methods for approximating a function with another function, such as Taylor series, Fourier series, and polynomial interpolation. These methods involve manipulating the coefficients and terms of the approximating function to best fit the original function.

3. What are the advantages of approximating a function with another function?

Approximating a function with another function can make it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of the original function. It can also help identify patterns and relationships between variables, and make predictions about the behavior of the original function.

4. Are there limitations to approximating a function with another function?

Yes, there are limitations to approximating a function with another function. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the method used and the degree of the approximating function. In some cases, the approximating function may only be valid within a certain range of the original function's domain.

5. How do I know if my approximating function is a good representation of the original function?

There are several measures that can be used to assess the accuracy of an approximating function, such as the error between the two functions or the coefficient of determination. It is important to compare the approximating function to the original function and evaluate its performance in different scenarios to determine its effectiveness.