Approximating Integrals with Deriv & Discont: Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral with an integrand composed of arbitrary functions and containing a derivative of the variable of integration. The integral is over a discontinuity, making it difficult to find an exact solution. The discontinuity occurs at 'x' and the functions are defined on each side of the discontinuity. Without the 1/g(r) term, the integral would have a simple solution according to Leibniz's rule. However, the discontinuity of g makes it more complex. The conversation also mentions an alternative function h that could potentially be used to simplify the integral, but it is unclear how it would be applied in this context.
zhermes
I'm trying to do an integral, in which the integrand is composed of arbitrary functions and contains a derivative of the variable of integration. Further still, the integral is over a discontinuity. Because these are arbitrary functions I assume there is no exact solution, but I'm looking for an approximation.

Anyway, there is a discontinuity at 'x'
[tex]
\lim_{\Delta x \to \infty} \int_{x-\Delta x}^{x+\Delta x} \frac{1}{g(r)} f'(r) dr
[/tex]

The functions are defined in the limits on each side of the discontinuity, i.e.
[tex]
\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} \hspace{0.3in} f(x+\Delta x) = A \hspace{0.3in} f(x-\Delta x) = B \hspace{0.3in}
g(x+\Delta x) = C \hspace{0.3in} g(x-\Delta x) = D
[/tex]

Thus, if the integrand did not contain g(r), the result would be simple (from Leibniz's rule)
[tex]
\lim_{\Delta x \to \infty} \int_{x-\Delta x}^{x+\Delta x} f'(r) dr = A - B
[/tex]

Any help, tips, or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Z

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think there's enough information to answer. Obviously, the Riemann integral formally doesn't exist, since f' doesn't exist at x. If one imagines f as the limit of a series of functions in which the region within which the change from A to B occurs gets smaller and smaller, then the value of the integral will depend on the nature of the limiting series. This is obvious, because one could have all the change occur on the minus side, in which case the integral will be (A-B)/D, or you could have it all occur on the plus side, in which case the integral will be (A-B)/C. Yet in both cases the limit of the series is the same discontinuous function f.

pmsrw3 said:
I don't think there's enough information to answer.
I think I understand the basis of your point, but it seems as though it should apply to the integral over f'(r) itself [i.e. without the 1/g(r)]; but that integral is indeed defined [i.e. (A-B)].

Further, the only difference is that g is not a derivative. But I think, given the particular situation, one could say that:
[tex]
g(x) \equiv h'(x)
[/tex] [tex]
\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} h(x+\Delta x) = h(x - \Delta x) = h_0
[/tex]
Does that help / change anything?

zhermes said:
I think I understand the basis of your point, but it seems as though it should apply to the integral over f'(r) itself [i.e. without the 1/g(r)]; but that integral is indeed defined [i.e. (A-B)].

Further, the only difference is that g is not a derivative.
"The only difference" between what and what?

The key difference between f' and f'/g is that g is discontinuous, and it is discontinuous at the exact same point as f. My argument doesn't apply to f' (or even to g, if C = D), because a limiting series of functions that converges to f will give the same integral for f', whether f changes from A to B below x or above x. It it only when f is multiplied by another function that is discontinuous exactly at x that this limit fails.

But I think, given the particular situation, one could say that:
[tex]
g(x) \equiv h'(x)
[/tex] [tex]
\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} h(x+\Delta x) = h(x - \Delta x) = h_0
[/tex]
Does that help / change anything?
Not in any way that I can see.

oe

I understand your struggle in trying to approximate integrals with derivatives and discontinuities. This is a common challenge in many scientific fields, and there are a few approaches you can take to tackle this problem.

One option is to use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Gaussian quadrature. These methods involve dividing the interval of integration into smaller sub-intervals and approximating the integral using a formula that takes into account the values of the function at specific points within each sub-interval. While these methods may not give an exact solution, they can provide a good approximation with a high level of accuracy.

Another approach is to use asymptotic expansions, which involve approximating the integral using a series expansion of the integrand. This can be particularly useful when the integrand contains a small parameter, such as in your case where the integrand contains a derivative of the variable of integration. However, this method may not be as accurate when dealing with discontinuities.

Additionally, you can try to simplify the integrand by using integration by parts or other techniques to transform it into a form that is easier to integrate. This may not always be possible, but it can be worth trying.

Ultimately, the best approach will depend on the specific problem at hand and the level of accuracy required. I would recommend consulting with a mathematician or using numerical software to help you find the best approach for your specific integral. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

What is the purpose of approximating integrals with derivatives and discontinuities?

The purpose of approximating integrals with derivatives and discontinuities is to make calculations easier and more efficient. By using derivatives, we can estimate the value of an integral without having to solve it directly. This can save time and effort, especially when dealing with complex functions.

How is the approximation of integrals with derivatives and discontinuities different from traditional methods?

The traditional method of finding integrals involves solving the integral directly using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. However, with approximating integrals, we use the properties of derivatives to estimate the value of the integral without having to solve it directly. This can be especially useful when dealing with functions that are difficult or impossible to integrate.

What are some common techniques used for approximating integrals with derivatives and discontinuities?

Some common techniques used for approximating integrals with derivatives and discontinuities include the Trapezoidal Rule, Simpson's Rule, and the Midpoint Rule. These techniques use a combination of derivatives and the properties of rectangles and trapezoids to estimate the value of the integral. Other techniques may also involve using linear or quadratic approximations of the function.

What are some common types of discontinuities that can occur in functions?

Common types of discontinuities that can occur in functions include removable, jump, and infinite discontinuities. A removable discontinuity occurs when there is a hole or gap in the graph of the function, which can be filled in by assigning a value to the point. A jump discontinuity occurs when there is a sudden change in the value of the function at a specific point. An infinite discontinuity occurs when the function approaches infinity or negative infinity at a specific point.

How do we determine the accuracy of an approximation using derivatives and discontinuities?

The accuracy of an approximation using derivatives and discontinuities can be determined by comparing the estimated value to the actual value of the integral. The smaller the difference between the two values, the more accurate the approximation. Additionally, using more intervals or a smaller interval size in the approximation can also increase the accuracy of the estimation.