Calculating Weight to Make Balloon Rise 116m in 17s Using Archimedes Principle

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving Archimedes' principle and the motion of a lighter-than-air balloon. The balloon has a radius of 6.59 m and a constant density of 1.29 kg/m3. The question is asking for the amount of weight that needs to be dropped overboard in order to make the balloon rise 116 m in 17.0 seconds. The solution involves using the buoyant force and the resultant force to determine the initial mass of the balloon.
moeraeleizhaj
A lighter-than-air spherical balloon and its load of passengers and ballast are floating stationary above the earth. Ballast is weight (of negligible volume) that can be dropped overboard to make the balloon rise. The radius of this balloon is 6.59 m. Assuming a constant value of 1.29 kg/m3 for the density of air, determine how much weight must be dropped overboard to make the balloon rise 116 m in 17.0 s.

Hi, that's a physics problem aht confounds me.
It's about archimedes principle (weight of fluid displaced=bouyant force) , right? I've found out the bouyant force using that principle.

And the part when the baloon moves can be solved by doing (bouyant force-weight of the balloon=Resultant force) wherein the resultant force causes the balloon to rise up(resultant force=mass of balloon*vel (116-17)). Is that assumption right? if i do that i get the new mass of the balloon but i don't know how to get it's intial mass and i need it to find out how much mass needs to be dropped.

Can anyone help me with my problem please?

Physics news on Phys.org
moeraeleizhaj said:
A lighter-than-air spherical balloon and its load of passengers and ballast are floating stationary above the earth.
What can you deduce from this statement?

that the forces are in equlibruim .'. the weight of the balloon=the bouyant force?

moeraeleizhaj said:
that the forces are in equlibruim .'. the weight of the balloon=the bouyant force?
Exactly.

What is the Archimedes Principle?

The Archimedes Principle states that the upward buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How can the Archimedes Principle be used to make a balloon rise?

By filling a balloon with a gas that is less dense than the surrounding air, the balloon becomes less dense than the air and will experience a net upward force, causing it to rise.

What factors affect the weight needed to make a balloon rise?

The weight needed to make a balloon rise is affected by the volume of the balloon, the density of the gas inside the balloon, and the density of the surrounding air.

How can the weight needed to make a balloon rise 116m in 17s be calculated?

The weight needed can be calculated by using the formula: weight = buoyant force - weight of balloon. The buoyant force can be calculated using the Archimedes Principle and the weight of the balloon can be measured or estimated.

Is there a limit to how high a balloon can rise using the Archimedes Principle?

Yes, there is a limit to how high a balloon can rise using the Archimedes Principle. Eventually, the density of the surrounding air will become too low for the balloon to continue rising, and it will reach a point of equilibrium where the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the balloon.