Arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1)) satisfies Laplace's equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying that the function arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1)) satisfies Laplace's equation when x^2+y^2\ne 1. The given link provides a potential solution, but the individual is unsure of its accuracy and is seeking guidance. They have attempted to use the Laplacian operator and partial derivatives, but have not been successful.
car202

Homework Statement

Verify that [tex]\arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1))[/tex] satisfies Laplace's equation when [tex]x^2+y^2\ne 1[/tex].

You can also see at: (Problem 38)
http://books.google.ca/books?id=qh1...nepage&q=arctan(2/(x2y2-1)) laplacian&f=false

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue. I keep getting [tex]\frac{12x^4y^6-8x^2y^4-20y^2+12x^6y^4-8x^4y^2-20x^2}{(x^4y^4 - 2x^2y^2 + 5)^2}=\frac{4(x^2+y^2)(3x^2y^2-5)(x^2y^2+1)}{(x^4y^4 - 2x^2y^2 + 5)^2}[/tex], which is obviously not zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also tried \nabla^2f=\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2} = 0, and I got something similar. I am really lost here. Any guidance would be appreciated.

1. What is "Arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1))"?

"Arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1))" is a mathematical function that represents the inverse tangent of 2 divided by the quantity of x squared times y squared minus 1.

2. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the steady-state behavior of a scalar field, such as temperature or electrostatic potential.

3. How do you know that "Arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1))" satisfies Laplace's equation?

To determine if a function satisfies Laplace's equation, we need to take its second partial derivatives with respect to each variable and see if they sum to zero. In the case of "Arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1))", its second partial derivatives do sum to zero, thus satisfying Laplace's equation.

4. What is the significance of "Arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1))" satisfying Laplace's equation?

If a function satisfies Laplace's equation, it means that it has a constant value on any given closed curve. This is useful in many fields of science, such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics, where the behavior of a scalar field is important.

5. Can you provide an example of a physical phenomenon where "Arctan(2/(x^2y^2-1))" satisfies Laplace's equation?

One example is the electric potential around a charged spherical capacitor, where the potential can be described by the function "Arctan(2/(r^2-1))" in spherical coordinates. This function satisfies Laplace's equation and helps us understand the behavior of the electric field around the capacitor.