Are All Electrons Created Equal? The Implications of Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter catamongpigeon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the identical nature of electrons is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. This means that they cannot be distinguished from each other by their intrinsic physical properties, and any observable involving them must remain unchanged when they are relabeled. This leads to important consequences, such as the Pauli exclusion principle and the resolution of the Gibbs paradox.
doesn't the uncertainty in the momentum increase with time or am I getting that bit wrong?

Measurements always show a statistical distribution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jilang said:
Do we know if the electron that is emitted is the same one that is detected?
This is a meaningless question for identical particles such as electrons.

atyy said:
If they were not identical, this anti-symmetrization would not be required. This anti-symmetrization leads to things like the Pauli exclusion principle which has experimental consequences.

What do you think are the most striking experimental consequences?

ddd123 said:
What do you think are the most striking experimental consequences?
Now that's an open-ended question :)
The Pauli exclusion principle is responsible for the behavior of electrons around the nucleus, and this in turn is responsible for just about all the behavior of matter: chemistry, solidity, density, ... Without the exclusion principle, EVERYTHING would be unimaginably different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes bhobba and zonde
Are all electrons equal?

Yes, but some are more equal than others.

Quarks of England, quarks of Ireland,
Quarks of every land and clime,
Hearken to my joyful tidings
Of the Golden future time.

Likes bhobba
The idea of particles as these individual entities is superseded by quantum field theory, in the second quantization. It doesn't really make sense to think of two electrons as separate things, since they are both excitations of an underlying electron field. The only way for two electrons to have different properties is for there to be multiple different electron fields. In which case, we would not call them both electrons. For example, we call an electron-like object with higher mass a muon.

Bad analogy time: if I have two cents in my bank account, I can transfer them one at a time, but there's no way to distinguish one cent from the other cent since they are just numbers in a computer, not physical pennies.

Likes Nugatory