Are Atoms Glued? Learn What Happens

• B
  • Thread starter Moves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary: So, even if you removed all the atoms in the universe, the universe would continue to exist. However, destroying all the atoms would have a significant effect.
Moves
Hello,we just learned what was an atome and i was windering what would happen if you took one atom out of the universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moves said:
and i was windering what would happen if you took one atom out of the universe?
With the universe? Nothing relevant. There are so many of them, one more or less doesn't matter. The total number of atoms changes all the time from various natural and a few man-made processes.

Thanks for answering that fast. I was wondering if the tiniest part of the universe was essential to it survival. I am kinda strugling to express wasni want to say. Even if there are new atomes created isn't there some kind of basic "tissu" that is undestrictible and that makes the universe? Like a card castle which needs all of its cards to be

Im sorry if I am noob. Isnt there a kind of canvas atomes apears on? If all atomes are making the "canvas" isn't there dramatic consquence when taking out 1 atome?

Moves said:
Even if there are new atomes created isn't there some kind of basic "tissu" that is undestrictible and that makes the universe? Like a card castle which needs all of its cards to be
No.
Moves said:
Isnt there a kind of canvas atomes apears on?
All atoms are in space (they are somewhere). Is that what you mean?
Moves said:
If all atomes are making the "canvas"
They don't.

isnt there some kind of indivisble unity even if you cal' them atoms arent rhey kinda "alive" only when glue together? I am sorry if it sound so noob but isn't the universe 1 thing that can't be separeted?

I was picturing that instead of losing a pixel and make a hole on another plateforme universe wouldn't have any surface to support the hole. And basicaly that universe at its base was indivisble. Its blurr ibknow ...

No. Space is pretty empty of matter.

Out beyond the solar system, there is an average of about 1 atom per cubic centimeter.
That may seem like a lot but your pinkie knuckle is about that size and it contains about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (100 billion trillion) atoms.There's about a trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion (10^60) atoms in the universe as we know it, so losing a few trillion is nothing.

Likes krater
Moves said:
isnt there some kind of indivisble unity even if you cal' them atoms arent rhey kinda "alive" only when glue together? I am sorry if it sound so noob but isn't the universe 1 thing that can't be separeted?
Moves said:
I was picturing that instead of losing a pixel and make a hole on another plateforme universe wouldn't have any surface to support the hole. And basicaly that universe at its base was indivisble. Its blurr ibknow ...
No. There is nothing like that.

Removing one atom would have no significant effect on the universe. Removing or changing one of the laws of physics almost certainly would have a significant effect.

Atoms can also be created and destroyed by nuclear reactions.

Related to Are Atoms Glued? Learn What Happens

1. What are atoms made of?

Atoms are made up of three main subatomic particles: protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons and neutrons make up the nucleus of the atom, while electrons orbit around the nucleus.

2. How are atoms held together?

Atoms are held together by strong forces called chemical bonds. These bonds are formed when atoms share or transfer electrons with each other.

3. Are atoms glued together?

No, atoms are not glued together in the traditional sense. They are held together by the aforementioned chemical bonds, which are much stronger than any glue.

4. What happens when atoms are glued together?

When atoms are glued together, they form molecules. The atoms share or transfer electrons with each other, creating chemical bonds that hold the atoms together in a specific arrangement.

5. Can atoms be unglued?

Yes, atoms can be unglued. This process is known as chemical reactions, where the chemical bonds between atoms are broken and new bonds are formed. This allows for the rearrangement of atoms and the creation of new molecules.