Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are hyperbolic functions used in Calculus 3?

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    More than just a few problems that happen to pop up in the textbook, I mean.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

You mean cosh and sinh?
    I'm not really sure, I don't remember doing it very often. I remember them more from diff eq more than anything. I have friends who claim they did though, when I brought up the fact that I had no idea how to work with them. I wouldn't forget about them, but I also wouldn't spend a lot of time working with them. Learn the e^ definitions and call it a day unless you feel inclined to go further. My 2 cents.

4. May 21, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am not sure what you mean by "used" in Calculus III. The point of any Calculus course is to teach concepts and methods that can be used in other courses! and the hyperbolic functions are definitely used in other courses. They act a great deal like the ordinary sine and cosine functions: The general solution to the very fundamental differential equation [itex]d^2 y/dx^2+ y= 0[/itex] is [itex]y(x)= A cos(x)+ B sin(x)[/itex] and, similarly, the general solution to the equally fundamental differential equation [itex]d^2y/dx^2- y= 0[/itex] is [itex]y(x)= A cosh(x)+ B sinh(x)[/itex]. Just as for trig functions we have [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex] so or hyperbolic functions we have [itex]cosh^2(x)- sinh^2(x)= 1[/itex]. And when you study "functions of a complex variable" you learn the cos(x) and cosh(x), as well as sin(x) and sinh(x) are really just the "real" and "imaginary" parts of the same function.

5. May 25, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The treatment of hyperbolic sine and cosine in Calculus III is (or "was", as I remember) very brief. Any use of cosh or sinh in the course might account for about 2 or 3 days in the semester sized course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook