Are My Trigonometric Equation Solutions Correct?

In summary, trigonometric equations involve the use of trigonometric functions to solve for unknown variables and are commonly used in geometry and physics. The basic trigonometric identities, including Pythagorean identities and co-function identities, are used to simplify and solve these equations. To solve trigonometric equations, one must identify the trigonometric function involved and use algebraic techniques. These equations have various real-world applications, such as navigation and surveying. Multiple solutions are possible, but it is important to check for extraneous solutions.
sarah786
solve the trigonometric equations
tan 2(theta) + cot(theta) = 0

When i solved this question, i got pi/2 + 2n*pi and 3*pi/2 + 2n*pi ... but my book says the answer should be pi/6 + n*pi and 5pi/6 + n*pi

Is my answer wrong?? if so, then what's your solution.?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi sarah786! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ :wink:)

your solution is correct :wink:

i think the question was intended to be tan(2θ) minus cotθ = 0 :rolleyes:

@ tiny-tim.. thank you! :)

can you please correct me with some other questions?? i have solved them but my answers don't match the book's...
√3 tan x - sec x - 1 = 0 ... i get three solutions to this question but my book's got two... it doesn't mention 5pi/3 + 2n*pi... do u think this is also a soln to this question??

sin2x + sin x = 0 ... one of the solutions that i get is 4pi/3 + 2n*pi ... my book doesn't mention this... am i correct??

sin 4x - sin 2x = cos 3x ... one of the solutions that i get is pi/2 + 2n*pi/3 ... am i right?

sin x + sin 3x + sin 5x = 0 ... are pi/3 + 2n*pi and 2n*pi/3 also solutions to this eq. ??

LAST ONE :) ... sin θ + sin 3θ + sin 5θ + sin 7θ = 0 ... is 3*pi/4 + n*pi also a solution...

I really need to confirm the answers i am having my grand test tomorrow... i have tried them but not sure about the answers... i will be grateful forever if you confirm these... thanks :)

hi sarah786! :smile:

(what happened to that π i gave you? :confused:)
sarah786 said:
√3 tan x - sec x - 1 = 0 ... i get three solutions to this question but my book's got two... it doesn't mention 5pi/3 + 2n*pi... do u think this is also a soln to this question??

let's see …

tan(5π/3) = tan(-π/3) = -tan(π/3) = -tan(60°) = -√3

sec(5π/3) = sec(-π/3) = sec(π/3) = sec(60°) = 2

-3 -2 - 1 = -6, no not a solution …

how did you get it? :confused:
sin2x + sin x = 0 ... one of the solutions that i get is 4pi/3 + 2n*pi ... my book doesn't mention this... am i correct??

sin(8π/3) = sin(2π/3) = sin120° = sin60° = √3/2

sin(4π/3) = sin(-2π/3) = -sin(2π/3) = -√3/2,

yes that's a solution …

again, how did you get it?​

sarah786 said:
can you please correct me with some other questions?? i have solved them but my answers don't match the book's...

sin 4x - sin 2x = cos 3x ... one of the solutions that i get is pi/2 + 2n*pi/3 ... am i right?

sin x + sin 3x + sin 5x = 0 ... are pi/3 + 2n*pi and 2n*pi/3 also solutions to this eq. ??

LAST ONE :) ... sin θ + sin 3θ + sin 5θ + sin 7θ = 0 ... is 3*pi/4 + n*pi also a solution...

I really need to confirm the answers i am having my grand test tomorrow... i have tried them but not sure about the answers... i will be grateful forever if you confirm these... thanks :)
These are the same questions you asked in the other thread you posted, which makes this post of duplicate of the other. It is not good manners to post the same problem in multiple threads.

Did you read my response in your other thread? If you know how to find solutions of trig equations, you should be able to check whether a particular value of the variable makes your equation a true statement. If so, then that value is a solution of the equation. If not, then that value isn't a solution of the equation.

Related to Are My Trigonometric Equation Solutions Correct?

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations involve the use of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for unknown variables. These equations are commonly used in geometry and physics to calculate angles and distances.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and co-function identities. These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

3. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve trigonometric equations, you must first identify the trigonometric function involved and use the appropriate basic trigonometric identity to simplify the equation. Then, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic techniques.

4. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in many real-world scenarios, such as calculating distances and angles in navigation and surveying, predicting tides and ocean currents, and analyzing sound and light waves.

5. Can trigonometric equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions, especially when involving inverse trigonometric functions. It is important to check for extraneous solutions, which are solutions that do not satisfy the original equation.