Are rationals adjoin cube root of 3 a field?

In summary, $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{3})=\{a+b\sqrt[3]{3}+c\sqrt[3]{9}\mid a,b,c\in\mathbb{Q}\} a ring? If it is a ring, is it a field?
Ragnarok7
Is \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{3})=\{a+b\sqrt[3]{3}+c\sqrt[3]{9}\mid a,b,c\in\mathbb{Q}\}\) a ring? If it is a ring, is it a field?

I have shown that it is a ring; however, I am not sure that it is a field, since in my calculations it does not seem to be closed under inverses. But I read somewhere that \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\) is a field, so could someone confirm or deny this for me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:
Is \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{3})=\{a+b\sqrt[3]{3}+c\sqrt[3]{9}\mid a,b,c\in\mathbb{Q}\}\) a ring? If it is a ring, is it a field?

I have shown that it is a ring; however, I am not sure that it is a field, since in my calculations it does not seem to be closed under inverses. But I read somewhere that \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\) is a field, so could someone confirm or deny this for me? Thanks!

Hi Ragnarok,

Indeed $\Bbb Q(\sqrt[3]{3})$ is a field. Let $\alpha = \sqrt[3]{3}$. Then $\alpha$ is a root of the polynomial $x^3 - 3$, so we can identify $\Bbb Q(\sqrt[3]{3})$ with polynomials $p(x)\in Q[x]$ subject to the constraint $x^3 = 3$. This is naturally identified with the factor ring $\Bbb Q[x]/(x^3 - 3)$. Rigorously speaking, since the substitution map $\phi_{\sqrt[3]{3}} : \Bbb Q[x] \to \Bbb Q(\sqrt[3]{3})$ sending $p(x)$ to $p(\sqrt[3]{3})$ is a ring homomorphism with kernel $(x^3 - 3)$, it induces an isomorphism of $\Bbb Q[x]/(x^3 - 3)$ onto $\Bbb Q(\sqrt[3]{3})$. Since $x^3 - 3$ is irreducible over $\Bbb Q$, the ideal $(x^3 - 3)$ is maximal in $\Bbb Q[x]$ and hence $\Bbb Q[x]/(x^3 - 3)$ is a field. Therefore $\Bbb Q(\sqrt[3]{3})$ is a field.

(more or less Euge's answer, a bit simplified and nonrigorified)

Let us think of it in a more general context : $F$ be a field and $\alpha$ be some $F$-algebraic (root of a polynomial over $F[x]$) of degree $n$. Define the ring $F[\alpha]$ to be the ring with arbitrary elements of the form $a_0 + a_1 \alpha^1 + a_2 \alpha^2 + \cdots + a_{n - 1} \alpha^{n-1}$ for $a_i \in F$.

It is, as you see, most certainly a ring. We claim that the ring $F[\alpha]$ is already closed under inversion and thus is a field. Let's look at some examples first : Take the field $\Bbb Q$. $\sqrt{2}$ is an algebraic over the field (root of $X^2 - 2$), thus adjoin it to the base field to get the ring $\Bbb Q[\sqrt{2}]$. The arbitrary elements here are of the form $a + b\sqrt{2}$, as $\sqrt{2}$ is a quadratic. If this ring is to be a field, each element of this form must have an inverse. However, note that $(a + b\sqrt{2})(a - b\sqrt{2}) = a^2 - 2b^2 \in \Bbb Q$. Thus, the inverse of $a + b\sqrt{2}$ is $a' + b'\sqrt{2}$, where $a' = a(a^2-2b^2)^{-1}$ and $b' = -b(a^2-2b^2)^{-1}$. Hence $\Bbb Q[\sqrt{2}]$ is a field.

A powerful way to think of field extensions is to compare with polynomial rings. Take $F[\alpha]$ and let's compare it with $F[X]$ for some $F$-transcendental $X$. There is a canonical map $\varphi : F[X] \to F[\alpha]$ by sending $X$ to $\alpha$. It's clearly an injective homomorphism, however it's NOT surjective. $0$ in $F[X]$ goes to $0$ in $F[\sqrt{2}]$, but the minimal polynomial $f(X)$ of $\alpha$ in $F[X]$ also goes to $0 = f(\alpha)$ in $F[\alpha]$. In fact, all $F[X]$-multiples of $f(X)$ goes to the identity in $F[\alpha]$, so the measure of nonsurjectivity (the fancy name being "kernel") is the ideal $\langle f(X) \rangle = \{f(X) \cdot g(X) \, : \, g(X) \in F[X] \}$. From the first isomorphism theorem $F[\alpha] \cong F[X]/\langle f(X) \rangle$.

Note that $f(X)$ is an irreducible polynomialso if one picks up some arbitrary polynomial $k(X)$ not included in the fibres over $0$ w.r.t. $\varphi$, then $(f(X), k(X)) = 1$ and by Bezout's lemma, there exists polynomials $a(X)$ and $b(X)$ such that $a(X)k(X) + b(X)f(X) = 1$. The identity must also hold modulo $f(x)$, so $a(x)k(x) = 1$ over $F[X]/\langle f(X) \rangle$, thus $a(X)$ is the inverse of $k(X)$, implying $F[X]/\langle f(X) \rangle$ is a field. Hence $F[\alpha]$ is also a field. $\blacksquare$

Thank you mathbalarka, for the explanation! I was surprised at how much I understood of it.

Yes, \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{3}) is a ring, but it is not a field. A field is a type of ring where every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse. In other words, for every element x in the field, there exists an element y such that xy=1.

In the case of \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{3}), the element \sqrt[3]{3} does not have a multiplicative inverse. This can be seen by trying to find a rational number that, when multiplied by \sqrt[3]{3}, gives 1. No such rational number exists, as \sqrt[3]{3} is an irrational number.

On the other hand, \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}) is a field. This is because \sqrt[3]{2} is a root of the polynomial x^3-2, which is an irreducible polynomial over \mathbb{Q}. This means that \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}) is a field extension of \mathbb{Q} of degree 3, and every element in this field can be written as a linear combination of 1, \sqrt[3]{2}, and \sqrt[3]{4}. Therefore, every nonzero element in \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}) has a multiplicative inverse, making it a field.

Related to Are rationals adjoin cube root of 3 a field?

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it can be written in the form p/q, where p and q are both integers and q is not equal to 0.

2. What does it mean to adjoin a number to a field?

Adjoining a number to a field means adding the number to the field and creating a new, larger field that includes both the original field and the added number. This new field will have all the same operations as the original field, but will also include the added number.

3. Is the cube root of 3 a rational number?

No, the cube root of 3 is an irrational number. This means that it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and its decimal representation is non-terminating and non-repeating.

4. What is the field generated by adjoining the cube root of 3 to the rationals?

The field generated by adjoining the cube root of 3 to the rationals is called the field of constructible numbers. It includes all numbers that can be constructed using a straightedge and compass, and can also be represented as a + b*√c, where a, b, and c are rational numbers.

5. Is the field of constructible numbers closed under addition and multiplication?

Yes, the field of constructible numbers is closed under both addition and multiplication. This means that when adding or multiplying two constructible numbers together, the result will also be a constructible number.