Are the Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of Entropy equivalent?

In summary: So, we can say that the probability of a system to be in a particular macroscopic state is the sum of probabilities of all the microstates equivalent to that macroscopic state. In summary, the Gibbs and Boltzmann entropies are not always equivalent because the fundamental postulate, which states that all microstates are equally probable, only applies to the microcanonical ensemble. In other ensembles, such as the canonical and grand canonical ensembles, the probabilities of microstates are not all equal, and therefore the entropies are not equivalent. However, in equilibrium, the probabilities of microstates giving rise to a particular macrostate are all equal, making the Gibbs and Boltzmann entropies equivalent.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Are the Gibbs and Boltzmann entropies always equivalent?

Homework Equations

$$ S=k_{B}ln\Omega $$ [Boltzmann entropy, where ##\Omega## is the number of available microstates

$$ S=-k_{B}\sum_{i}p_{i} ln(p_{i}) $$ [Gibbs entropy, where ##p_{i}## is the probability of a particle being in the ##i^{th}## microstate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say no - since Boltzmann implicitly assumes that all of the microstates have equal probability. This works in a system where we can apply the fundamental postulate - i.e the microcanonical ensemble. But that definitely doesn't apply to the Canonical or Grand Canonical ensembles! (as far as I can see)

However, my textbook seems to be suggesting otherwise - i.e that the fundamental postulate always applys, and therefore the Gibbs and Boltzmann entropies are always equal... Are they mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of equilibrium is that the system wouldn't have net changes in its macrostate but only fluctuates around it. This is only possible if the probabilities associated to the microstates giving that macrostate are the maximum among the probabilities of all of the microstates possible for that system, because at any time the system goes to the direction of more probable microstates. Equilibrium is when this evolution stops and so there should be no direction for a net change, which means all directions should be equally probable. So I think Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of entropy are equivalent for a system in equilibrium.

Shayan.J said:
The definition of equilibrium is that the system wouldn't have net changes in its macrostate but only fluctuates around it. This is only possible if the probabilities associated to the microstates giving that macrostate are the maximum among the probabilities of all of the microstates possible for that system, because at any time the system goes to the direction of more probable microstates. Equilibrium is when this evolution stops and so there should be no direction for a net change, which means all directions should be equally probable. So I think Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of entropy are equivalent for a system in equilibrium.
Sorry for the slow reply - I understand what you are saying for the definition of equilibrium - what you say seems intuitively sensible. However, is it not a result that for a given microstate ##j## in the Boltzmann distribution, we have ##p_{j} = \frac{e^{-\beta j}}{Z} ## - so how can the probabilities all be the same? Have I fundamentally misunderstood something?

<Moderator's note: LaTeX fixed>

Last edited by a moderator:
bananabandana said:
Sorry for the slow reply - I understand what you are saying for the definition of equilibrium - what you say seems intuitively sensible. However, is it not a result that for a given microstate ##j# in the Boltzmann distribution, we have ##p_{j} = \frac{e^{-\beta j}{Z} ## - so how can the probabilities all be the same? Have I fundamentally misunderstood something?
That's correct but irrelevant. The point is that the the microscopic states we're talking about here are equivalent to each other as far as macroscopic quantities(like energy) are concerned. But the Boltzmann factor is giving the probability for the system's macroscopic quantity(energy) to have a particular value, which means its giving the probability for the system to be in any of those equivalent microstates.

1. What is the Gibbs form of Entropy?

The Gibbs form of Entropy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a thermodynamic system. It is commonly denoted as S and is defined as S = kB ln W, where kB is the Boltzmann constant and W is the number of microstates corresponding to a given macrostate.

2. What is the Boltzmann form of Entropy?

The Boltzmann form of Entropy is a statistical quantity that measures the level of disorder or randomness in a system. It is given by S = kB ln Ω, where kB is the Boltzmann constant and Ω is the number of possible arrangements of the particles in a system.

3. How are the Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of Entropy related?

The Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of Entropy are mathematically equivalent, meaning that they both measure the same physical quantity. The only difference between them is the way they are derived, with the Gibbs form being derived from thermodynamic principles and the Boltzmann form from statistical mechanics principles.

4. Can the Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of Entropy be used interchangeably?

Yes, the Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of Entropy can be used interchangeably in most cases. However, there are certain systems where one form may be more suitable than the other. For example, the Gibbs form is more appropriate for open systems where particles can enter or leave, while the Boltzmann form is more suitable for closed systems.

5. Why are the Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of Entropy important in science?

The Gibbs and Boltzmann forms of Entropy are important in science because they help us understand and quantify the behavior of thermodynamic and statistical systems. They are key concepts in fields such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and information theory, and are crucial for studying and predicting the behavior of complex systems.