Are the profiles for reflecting/refracting spherical?

• B
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spherical
In summary, I believe that the reflecting/refracting surfaces of astronomical instruments are spherical, but this is only a "small angle" and therefore some spherical aberration is present. However, because the error in presuming infinity is orders of magnitude less than spherical aberration, the surfaces are tightly designed as a paraboloid - or at least all the surfaces are carefully designed to have the net effect of true focus that is not dependent on the spherical aberration to avoid blur.
swampwiz
Are the profiles of the reflecting/refracting surfaces spherical for the bleeding-edge astronomical instruments?

I realize that because of the paraxial approximation, a "small angle" for a "ray" of light on spherical reflecting & refracting surfaces allows for a clean focus to take place. However, even a very small angle yields some spherical aberration, so I wonder that since astronomical instruments are always focused on infinity (or something so far that the error in presuming infinity is orders of magnitude less than an spherical aberration), the surfaces are tightly designed as a paraboloid - or at least all the surfaces are carefully designed to have the net effect of true focus that is not dependent on the spherical aberration to avoid blur.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
PAllen said:

I see that is the type used for the Hubble. I wonder if the exact calculations of the original, correct design, the error, and the fix to the error are documented somewhere online. I'd be interested in taking at a look at that.

swampwiz said:
I see that is the type used for the Hubble. I wonder if the exact calculations of the original, correct design, the error, and the fix to the error are documented somewhere online. I'd be interested in taking at a look at that.
At a purely 'gossip' level, I seem to have read reports that the Hubble mirrors were based on an existing design for Earth surveillance applications. Is that a possibility? Or will you have to kill me once you have told me?

1. Are the profiles for reflecting spherical?

The profiles for reflecting are not necessarily spherical, as there are different types of reflecting surfaces such as parabolic, ellipsoidal, and hyperbolic. However, spherical profiles are commonly used for reflecting surfaces due to their simplicity and ease of manufacturing.

2. Are the profiles for refracting spherical?

The profiles for refracting can also be spherical, but they can also be designed in other shapes such as cylindrical or aspherical. The choice of profile depends on the specific application and the desired optical properties.

3. What is the advantage of using a spherical profile for reflecting/refracting surfaces?

The main advantage of using a spherical profile is its simplicity and ease of manufacturing. Spherical surfaces are also easier to align and maintain, making them a popular choice for optical components.

4. Can spherical profiles be used for all types of light, including visible, infrared, and ultraviolet?

Yes, spherical profiles can be used for all types of light as long as the material used for the surface is suitable for the desired wavelength range. However, for certain applications, other profiles may be more suitable for better performance.

5. How do I calculate the optimal spherical profile for a specific application?

The optimal spherical profile can be calculated using various methods, such as ray tracing or optimization algorithms. Factors such as the desired focal length, wavelength range, and aberrations need to be considered in the calculation process.