1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there different kinds of series circuits?

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    there are two identical light bulbs in a torch, a battery at its end and we are asked to connect the bulbs so that there is maximum brightness.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I simply drew them in parallel because that provides more brightness than parallel according to P=IV ; however, the answer key draws the light bulbs connected to the same battery in separate loops - what is that? (I may not have explained the answer key circuit clearly - if one considers a bow tie, the center of the bow is the battery and the light bulbs are at the two ends of the bow) please explain, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that way the full voltage of the battery goes to each light. Putting them in parallel puts half the current through each bulb. Of course, you don't "get something for nothing". This way will drain the battery twice as fast.

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Note that each of these circuit diagrams describe identical circuits: the connections of each component to the others are the same in all cases:

attachment.php?attachmentid=46294&stc=1&d=1334592608.gif

Attached Files:

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4
    thank you very much, I understand now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook