Are You Ready to Challenge Your Integral Solving Skills?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Gib Z
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrals
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
271 replies · 66K views
murshid_islam said:
how did you get this:

This is a standard result
[tex]\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx= \int_{0}^{a}f(a-x)dx[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ssd, can you show me how to prove this?:
ssd said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx= \int_{0}^{a}f(a-x)dx[/tex]

edit: ok i think i got it. by substituting a - x = u, i get,
[tex]\int_{0}^{a}f(a-x)dx = -\int_{a}^{0}f(u)du = \int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx[/tex]
 
Last edited:
And that proof works how? I can't see how the 2nd part equals the 3rd.
 
Gib Z said:
And that proof works how? I can't see how the 2nd part equals the 3rd.

The variables u and x are just (dummy) integration variables, so from going from the second part to the third, let u=x. Then noting that [tex]\int_a^bf(z)=F(b)-F(a)=-[F(a)-F(b)]=-\int_b^a f(z)[/tex] where F(z) is an antiderivative of f(z), yields the result.
 
Last edited:
ssd said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{\theta\sin\theta}{1 + \cos^4\theta}d\theta<br /> =\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{\pi\sin\theta}{1 + \cos^4\theta}d\theta<br /> - \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{\theta\sin\theta}{1 + \cos^4\theta}d\theta[/tex]
Move the 2nd integral to left to get 2I, I=the original integral.
For the first integral put z=[tex]cos\theta[/tex]
even then it becomes messy. i get,
[tex]I = \pi \int_{0}^{1}\frac{dz}{1 + z^4}[/tex]
i have read that even leibniz found this cumbersome. i have to complete the squares in the denominator, then split into partial fractions and so on...
 
Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
even then it becomes messy. i get,
[tex]I = \pi \int_{0}^{1}\frac{dz}{1 + z^4}[/tex]
i have read that even leibniz found this cumbersome. i have to complete the squares in the denominator, then split into partial fractions and so on...
The process is cumbersome no doubt but the problem is such...By the way I found it interesting.
 
Gib Z said:
And that proof works how? I can't see how the 2nd part equals the 3rd.
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(u)du = \int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx = F(b)-F(a)[/tex]
where, f(y) is the first derivative of F(y) w.r.t. y.
 
K thanks guys, got it. As for that integral you have left, I feel sorry for you >.<
 
ssd said:
The process is cumbersome no doubt but the problem is such...By the way I found it interesting.
i found the integral interesting too, even if it is cumbersome.
 
O well, let's revive this thread again. Anybody have another, single variable, indefinite integral? It doesn't even have to be from a textbook, it can be your homework, or one your having trouble with :D
 
here is an extremely easy one:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1}x^3e^{-x^{4}}\cos 2xdx[/tex]

although it is very easy, i found it interesting
 
Ahh I am thinking integration by parts, [itex]u=x^3e^{-x^4}[/itex], and dv = cos 2x, and integration by parts again on the u, but could you just tell me if I am right before I do it, i don't want to spend so much time on it if it won't get me anywhere lol.
 
0

There are hard ways and easy ways. (Try graphing it. Notice any symmetry?)Try

\int_-90000 ^90000 sin^57(x) e^{-\pi^{77} 234535x^88}cos(2453245x^4) (x^{99999994}+1)dx
 
Gib Z said:
Ahh I am thinking integration by parts, [itex]u=x^3e^{-x^4}[/itex], and dv = cos 2x, and integration by parts again on the u, but could you just tell me if I am right before I do it, i don't want to spend so much time on it if it won't get me anywhere lol.

It might be doable that way, but I doubt it. Note that this is a definite integral, what is special about the bounds? What is special about the function?
 
:D:D:D

Thanks a heap guys, I can't believe I didn't see that. I already noticed it was an odd function, but for some reason didn't make the connection.

The Answers 0 :).

As for gammamcc's one, I am just going to put the tex brackets that he forgot to over here, because I don't understand it written like that, then ill try it.

[tex]\int_{-90000}^{90000} \sin^{57} (x) e^{-\pi^{77} 234535x^{88}}\cos (2453245x^4) (x^{99999994}+1) dx[/tex]
 
Gib Z said:
Ahh I am thinking integration by parts, [itex]u=x^3e^{-x^4}[/itex], and dv = cos 2x, and integration by parts again on the u, but could you just tell me if I am right before I do it, i don't want to spend so much time on it if it won't get me anywhere lol.
you don't need any calculations at all. that's why i said it is extremely easy.
just look at the function [tex]x^3e^{-x^{4}}\cos 2x[/tex]. do you see anything? is it odd? even? then you can immediately see what the answer is.

edit: oh, sorry, you have already got help. didn't notice that.
 
And as I just realized, that integral is not expressible in terms of elementary functions...

EDIT: INDEFINITE integral i meant to say.
 
Last edited:
Gib Z said:
And as I just realized, that integral is not expressible in terms of elementary functions...

EDIT: INDEFINITE integral i meant to say.
how did you realize that?

i have another integral. i don't know how to do it. can anybody help?

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{x^2}dx[/tex]
 
I worked out the taylor series and integrated term by term, this is my best:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} x^{a} e^{x^2} dx =\lim_{x\rightarrow {\infty}} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{a+(2n+1)}}{n!\cdot (a+(2n+1))}[/tex]

That doesn't help much
 
murshid_islam said:
how did you realize that?

i have another integral. i don't know how to do it. can anybody help?

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{x^2}dx[/tex]

It diverges.
 
Looking at the summation again, It looks like it does lol.
EDIT: Or one could see that both are increasing functions, which i just noticed and am starting to feel stupid about for not noticing sooner.
 
what about [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
 
murshid_islam said:
what about [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
Putting z=x^2,

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{-x^2}dx<br /> =\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\infty}z^{\frac{n+1}{2}-1}e^{-z}dz[/tex]
Apart from the factor 1/2, the integral is a Gamma Integral with parameters (n+1)/2,1.
If (n+1)/2 is a positive integer, then the integral = 0.5[(n-1)/2]! ... (Gamma distribution is known as Erlang distribution if the shape parameter is an integer.)
 
Last edited:
It becomes [tex]\frac{1}{2}\Gamma(\frac{n+1}{2})[/tex].

Which can be approximated...no closed form (in general).
 
Closed forms can be generated for any integer n with the following identities:

[tex]\Gamma(z) \; \Gamma\left(z + \frac{1}{2}\right) = 2^{1-2z} \; \sqrt{\pi} \; \Gamma(2z). \,\![/tex]

And

[tex]\Gamma\left(\frac{n}{2}+1\right)= \sqrt{\pi}\, \frac{n!}{2^{(n+1)/2}}[/tex] (n odd)
 
Lol its been a while since I've posted here. Anybody got an interesting integral?