Area of a triangle by vectors - getting different answers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a triangle formed by three points, A, B, and C. Different combinations of the points are used to calculate the cross product, but the correct answer is obtained by using the correct coordinates for point B. The conversation also mentions using a calculator or computer algebra system, but it is suggested to do the calculations on paper to avoid mistakes.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

A = (7,6,8)
B = (2,3,-1)
C = (2, -7, 9)

Find the area of the triangle these 3 points make

I'm getting slightly different results for different combinations I use

if I take

CA = a - c = (5 , 13 , -1)
CB = b - c = (0, 10, -10)

Taking another combination
AB = b - a = (-5, -3, -9)
AC = c - a = (-5, -13, 1)

Taking the modulus of the cross product and halving yields similar, but different answers. I've check and redone my work

Why?

Thanks
Thomas

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You computed AB wrong, it should be (-5,-3,-9) (added changed 3 to -3 in second coordinate). Then you get the same area.

sorry that was a typo, not actually what I did :blushing: (i've edited it now)

When I did it the first combination I get 5 sqrt(246)
But when I did the second combination I got 5sqrt(233)

Do you concur?

Thanks
Thomas

No.

I get the cross product as: (-120,50,50) with both your combinations which gives us an area of 5sqrt(194)

The correct answer is [-120, 50, 50] for your cross products.

You are screwing up when you are doing your calculations (I'm assuming you are using a CAS to input the numbers and not doing it all on paper which is why you missed it.)

If you type in for CB = <0, +10, +10> and do the cross product of CA x CB you will end up with [140, -50, 50] which results in your 5[tex]\sqrt{246}[/tex].

However if you type in CB correctly = <0, +10, -10> you'll come up with the correct answer.

Do it all on paper, ignore the calculator or CAS and you'll see where you went wrong. Once done properly you'll see that AB x AC = CA x CB

Related to Area of a triangle by vectors - getting different answers

1. Why am I getting different answers when calculating the area of a triangle using vectors?

There are a few reasons why you may be getting different answers when calculating the area of a triangle using vectors. One possibility is that you are using different methods or formulas to calculate the area. Another possibility is that you are using different vectors to represent the sides of the triangle, which can lead to different results. Additionally, small errors in calculations can also contribute to the differences in answers.

2. How can I ensure that I get the correct answer when using vectors to calculate the area of a triangle?

To ensure that you get the correct answer when using vectors to calculate the area of a triangle, it is important to use the same method or formula consistently. It is also important to use the correct vectors to represent the sides of the triangle. Double checking your calculations and using precise measurements can also help to ensure accuracy.

3. Can the orientation of the triangle affect the answer when calculating the area using vectors?

Yes, the orientation of the triangle can affect the answer when calculating the area using vectors. This is because the magnitude of a vector is positive, meaning it does not take into account the direction of the vector. Therefore, if the orientation of the triangle is different, the vectors representing the sides of the triangle will have different magnitudes, resulting in different area calculations.

4. Is it possible to get a negative answer when calculating the area of a triangle using vectors?

No, it is not possible to get a negative answer when calculating the area of a triangle using vectors. This is because the area of a triangle is always a positive value. If you are getting a negative answer, it is likely due to an error in your calculations or incorrect use of vectors.

5. Are there any limitations to using vectors to calculate the area of a triangle?

Yes, there are limitations to using vectors to calculate the area of a triangle. Vectors can only represent the magnitude and direction of a line segment, so they may not accurately represent the shape or size of the triangle. Additionally, using vectors to calculate the area of a triangle may not be suitable for complex or irregularly shaped triangles.