1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a triangle by vectors - getting different answers

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A = (7,6,8)
    B = (2,3,-1)
    C = (2, -7, 9)

Find the area of the triangle these 3 points make

I'm getting slightly different results for different combinations I use

if I take

CA = a - c = (5 , 13 , -1)
    CB = b - c = (0, 10, -10)

Taking another combination
    AB = b - a = (-5, -3, -9)
    AC = c - a = (-5, -13, 1)

Taking the modulus of the cross product and halving yields similar, but different answers. I've check and redone my work

Why?

Thanks
    Thomas

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    You computed AB wrong, it should be (-5,-3,-9) (added changed 3 to -3 in second coordinate). Then you get the same area.

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    sorry that was a typo, not actually what I did :blushing: (i've edited it now)

When I did it the first combination I get 5 sqrt(246)
    But when I did the second combination I got 5sqrt(233)

Do you concur?

Thanks
    Thomas

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4
    No.

I get the cross product as: (-120,50,50) with both your combinations which gives us an area of 5sqrt(194)

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    The correct answer is [-120, 50, 50] for your cross products.

You are screwing up when you are doing your calculations (I'm assuming you are using a CAS to input the numbers and not doing it all on paper which is why you missed it.)

If you type in for CB = <0, +10, +10> and do the cross product of CA x CB you will end up with [140, -50, 50] which results in your 5[tex]\sqrt{246}[/tex].

However if you type in CB correctly = <0, +10, -10> you'll come up with the correct answer.

Do it all on paper, ignore the calculator or CAS and you'll see where you went wrong. Once done properly you'll see that AB x AC = CA x CB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook