Area of y = sin x is equal to y = x^2, find k

• Thread starter Knight226
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Sin
In summary, the problem is to find the value of k when the area under y = sin x is equal to the area under y = x^2 between x = 0 and x = k. Two different methods are discussed, with one friend assuming k is 1 based on the graph of sin x and the other using a mathematical method to solve the problem. The question is raised about knowing whether k is the upper or lower value, and the importance of finding the correct solution rather than assuming a value is emphasized. The suggestion is made to evaluate the integrals and find a transcendental equation with at least one obvious solution, but to consider whether there may be another solution.
Knight226

Homework Statement

If the area under y = sin x is equal to the area under y = x^2 between x = 0 and x = k, then k = :

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have any idea how to do this problem. So I asked my friends for help, but their methods are different. One of my friend says that he assumes k is 1 because of the graph of sin x. The other friend uses the following method:
area.jpg

That method gives the result of about 1.1

Now… my question is… how should one know k is the upper value? I mean, in the graph of sin x, there is a -1 as well. That will make 0 the upper value and -1 the lower bound value (wouldn’t it?)

The mathematical method sounds reasonable because the areas are equal. But, I am not quite sure how to continue from that equation… she said she wasn’t sure about that equation so didn’t explain to me how to continue the problem.

My biggest question is, are they doing the problem correctly and how should I approach this problem?

Please help. Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole point is to determine k, so it's not correct to assume some k value. Try the "mathematical method", which is actually just the correct way of doing the problem.

First things first -- evaluate those integrals! You are going to get a transcendental equation that has at least one obvious solution. I doubt you want that obvious solution; is there another?

1. What does the equation y = sin x represent?

The equation y = sin x represents a sine curve, where the y-coordinate of a point on the curve is equal to the sine of the x-coordinate.

2. What is the equation y = x^2?

The equation y = x^2 represents a parabola, where the y-coordinate of a point on the curve is equal to the square of the x-coordinate.

3. What does it mean for the areas of two curves to be equal?

When the areas of two curves are equal, it means that the region between the two curves and the x-axis have the same size.

4. How do you find k in the equation y = sin x = y = x^2?

To find k, you would need to set the equations y = sin x and y = x^2 equal to each other, and then solve for x. Once you have the x-coordinate, you can plug it back into one of the equations to find the corresponding y-coordinate. This would give you the point of intersection between the two curves, and k would be equal to this y-coordinate.

5. Are there any other solutions to the equation y = sin x = y = x^2?

Yes, there are other solutions to this equation. In fact, there are infinitely many solutions since both the sine curve and the parabola are continuous curves. However, to find all the solutions, you would need to use methods such as graphing or numerical methods.