Area sum of inscribed pentagons

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the total area of a series of concentric pentagons, with the smaller pentagons creating negative space and the odd number pentagons creating positive space. The sum is calculated by finding the ratio of the area of the next positive area triangle to the initial one, and using this to find the sum of the infinite geometric series. The only requirement for this method is that the sum converges.
Sczisnad

Homework Statement

Ok, I wanted to calculate the sums of the areas of inscribed petagons into an initial pentagon (the smaller pentagon's vertices touch the larger pentagon's midpoints). However, I wanted all of the even pentagons to create negative space, and then the odd # pentagon after that to create positive space.

The initial pentagon is regular with side length of 1. To calculate the area of the smaller pentagons, i assumed that the area would be proportional to the next bigger pentagon by a constant factor. apothem/radius

i.e. area of small pentagon = area of big pentagon *(apothem/radius)

Total area = area1 - area2 + area3 - area4 + area5 - ...

So to do this I calculated a sum (see picture). Can someone verify that my sum is correct?

My question: How does my calculator take an infinite sum and convert it into a nice and clean polynomial? Can this always be done? What conditions need to be met to do so (obviously the sum need to converge, but are there any other requirements?)

Homework Equations

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Swiffer/Math.jpg Sorry for the blur, my phone can only do 3 megapixel resolution.

The Attempt at a Solution

See picture.

Ty in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your sum is an infinite geometric series, no? If you know the area of one of the outermost triangles, five times that is the first term of the series, a . If you have found the ratio of the area of the next "positive area" triangles to the initial ones, you should find that ratio is a constant, r . The sum of the infinite series of all the positive area triangles is just a / ( 1 - r ) . You can just ignore the "empty space" triangles, since it appears that you only want the total area of all those concentric "pentagonal rings" of isosceles triangles.

1. What is the definition of "Area sum of inscribed pentagons"?

The area sum of inscribed pentagons refers to the total area enclosed by a group of pentagons that are inscribed within a larger shape, such as a circle or a regular polygon.

2. How do you calculate the area sum of inscribed pentagons?

To calculate the area sum of inscribed pentagons, you would need to know the number of pentagons, the side length of each pentagon, and the central angle between each pentagon. Then, you can use the formula: area sum = n * (5 * s^2 / 4) * cot(180°/n), where n is the number of pentagons and s is the side length.

3. What is the significance of the area sum of inscribed pentagons in geometry?

The area sum of inscribed pentagons is significant in geometry as it demonstrates the relationship between the number of sides in a shape and the area enclosed by that shape. It also highlights the concept of inscribed shapes and their properties.

4. Can the area sum of inscribed pentagons be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, the area sum of inscribed pentagons can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the amount of space covered by overlapping circular fields in agriculture or determining the total area of overlapping windows on a building.

5. How does the number of pentagons affect the area sum of inscribed pentagons?

The number of pentagons has a direct impact on the area sum of inscribed pentagons. As the number of pentagons increases, the area sum also increases. This can be seen by the formula where the number of pentagons (n) is a multiplier in the calculation of the area sum.