Aren't there better things for politicians to be worried about?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a news release from the Clinton campaign where they called out Obama for his third grade essay about wanting to be president in the future. Some find it cute and endearing, while others criticize it as a petty move. The conversation also delves into Obama's childhood and his education in Jakarta, with some speculating about his political views at a young age. Overall, the conversation portrays Obama in a positive light and questions the motives of the Clinton campaign.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2007/12/hillary-as-kind.html

Seriously. Who in the Clinton campaign had the bright idea to call out Obama on his elementary school homework assignments! Is there really nothing else these people could have focused on?!

Here is the article the blog is discussing from the Clinton Website:

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/news/release/view/?id=4479

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
article said:
The news release also noted that the Los Angeles Times has reported that Obama’s third 3rd-grade teacher recalls him writing “I Want To Be a President” in response to an assignment asking students to write an essay titled “My dream: What I want to be in the future.”
Cute.

:smile: If anything, it's going to help Obama's campaign. It's fun to think about all those kids who dreamed of becoming president someday and to see one who is working hard to make it happen.

That is pretty pathetic to dig into elementary school records. Haven't most of us written such an essay in grade school? Does that mean we've all been planning to become presidents, ballet dancers, or astronauts since then? :rolleyes:

It also shows a rather poor lack of understanding of the English language on the part of Hillary's campaign, or the willful intent to twist words, to say that "thinking about" or "talking about" running is the same as "planning" to run. People can talk to their friends and say, yeah, someday I'd like to do that, without actually being focused on planning yet. Is she going to share with us his campaign strategy outlined in his third grade essay? :smile:

Moonbear said:
Is she going to share with us his campaign strategy outlined in his third grade essay? :smile:

Don't underestimate the power of ideas held by little kids. In kindergarten I once made a poster about apple flavored cigarettes, and last week I found out such a thing already exists, called hookah (that's the name of the device, but it's used for what I thought of when I was 5). Not exactly a cigarette, but it actually does taste like apples if you get the apple flavored stuff; tried it last friday to confirm that it was real :smile:.

For all we know, Obama actually did have a plan on how to win. It might not be detailed, but sometimes a general idea is all you need. Something like "peace in the middle east" might be a direct quote from his essay :biggrin:

ShawnD said:
Something like "peace in the middle east" might be a direct quote from his essay :biggrin:

If he was smart enough to be thinking about peace in the Middle East in third grade, instead of things like "everyone can have chocolate cake for breakfast," then even better for him!

Moonbear said:
If he was smart enough to be thinking about peace in the Middle East in third grade, instead of things like "everyone can have chocolate cake for breakfast," then even better for him!

Chocolate cake for breakfast reminds me of one of Bill Cosby's stand-up comedy skits :)

Beeza said:
Chocolate cake for breakfast reminds me of one of Bill Cosby's stand-up comedy skits :)

"Dad is great!"

Back to OP: This really does sway me toward Obama and away from Hilary. (used to be ambivalent between the two). Every time I hear Obama talk he sounds like an intelligent guy.

From obama's wiki article:
"The family moved to Jakarta in 1967, where Obama attended local schools from ages 6 to 10.[15] He then returned to Honolulu to live with his maternal grandparents while attending Punahou School from 5th grade until his graduation in 1979."

Isn't Jakarta a mostly muslim area? It sounds almost possible that one kid would say "my daddy says israel is evil" and Obama would say "why can't they just be friends?"
Hopefully Hillary will keep us up to date on this.

I can't vote for Obama now! It seems that the political views he held in his third grade essay were different that those he held now! Flip Flopper!

I'll trust a third grade politician over a mature one any day. Now, if I could only tell the difference.

Related to Aren't there better things for politicians to be worried about?

1. What are some examples of "better things" for politicians to be worried about?

Some examples could include the economy, national security, healthcare, education, and infrastructure.

2. Why do politicians focus on less important issues instead of these "better things"?

There could be a variety of reasons, such as personal or political motivations, pressure from interest groups or constituents, or the belief that addressing smaller issues can lead to larger changes.

3. How can we determine what issues are more important for politicians to prioritize?

This can be a complex and subjective process, but one way is to consider the impact that each issue has on society as a whole, as well as the potential consequences of not addressing it.

4. Is it fair to say that all politicians should be focused on the same "better things"?

No, priorities can vary among politicians based on their beliefs and the needs of their constituents. However, there may be some common issues that are generally agreed upon as more important for politicians to address.

5. Can politicians still address smaller issues while also focusing on these "better things"?

Yes, it is possible for politicians to address both smaller and larger issues at the same time. It is important for them to prioritize and allocate resources effectively in order to address a variety of issues that are important to their constituents.