Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrest warrant issued for Tom Delay

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Think he'll look anything like Nick Nolte?
  4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    No, Nolte was sort of a frat-boyish "man that was some party" hung over look.

I'm hoping for more of a Jeb Bush's daughter "I'll blow you for a cheeseburger" look.
  5. Oct 19, 2005 #4

My faith in the system, which was destroyed last november, is returning in bits and pieces.

Anyone who wants to see the US "reunited" might be happy that these events are heartening to (probably) half of their countrymen.

I worry that some may criticise me for being happy about this news. Keep in mind that what I am happy about is that it seems that members of the republican party are not above the law. I have had serious doubts over the last few years.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  6. Oct 19, 2005 #5
    whos tom delay?
  7. Oct 19, 2005 #6
    He was the house majority leader (ie the republican "in charge" of the house of representatives.)

He's from Texas.

He re-drew districts in Texas in order to assure a victory for re-election. He (probably) laundered money, he took money from sources that he shouldn't have, he was involved in getting money to oil companies in the recently passed energy bill.

He's been accused of unethical behavior and has tried to squirm out of it on technicalities. Think Rove, only in the House of Representatives instead of aid to the president.

SOS 2008 and others are up on the facts more than me, but as a "citizen on the street" that's what I know.
  8. Oct 19, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The charge he's been indicted for is improper campaign funding. Corporate PACs are not supposed to contribute directly to any single candidate in the state of Texas. What happened with his campaign is that several PACs contributed to a general fund in Washington, which then funneled money into the DeLay campaign. Such a move is definitely in violation of the campaign finance rules; the only question is whether or not DeLay was aware of this going on, or rather whether or not the prosecutor can prove that he was.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, because frankly, from what I could see, there wasn't much of a case here, unless the prosecutor is seriously holding out on us.
  9. Oct 19, 2005 #8
    He's been indicted on seperate counts of conspiracy and money laundering.

I doubt they'd have indicted him without a pretty convincing paper trail.
  10. Oct 19, 2005 #9
    All I know is I want a T-Shirt of Delay's mug shot.
  11. Oct 19, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Well as already said, he was the house majority leader until a few weeks ago as he stepped down for his trial. Basically the democrats are on a witch hunt and most people say its just a political attack. They don't seem to have any evidence and the prosecutors history is pretty... :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: to say the least. Plus of course, hte judge has a history of donating to the DNC and the liberal extremist group MoveOn.org.

Hopefully there will still be a shred of dignity left in the courts and he will be found innocent... unless of course Fitzgerald just surprises the hell out of people with some convincing evidence. I mean realistically, Pelosi did the exact same thing in '04 and no ones calling for her execution.
  12. Oct 19, 2005 #11
    There was an eight year long witch hunt on Clinton. 40 million dollars later he was finally found guilty of staining a blue dress. Bad Boy, Bad Boy, watcha gonna do when the come for you.:smile:

The legal pendulum swings both ways.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  13. Oct 19, 2005 #12

Gold Member

I didn't know lieing to a Grand Jury involved clothes.
  14. Oct 19, 2005 #13
    It's not "the courts" that decide whether Delay is innocent or guilty, it's the jury. Whether or not a group of randomly selected citizens think the evidence is convincing enough or not to convince Delay, it has little to do with "the courts," unless jurors are being bribed or the judge completely ignores the jury's decision.
  15. Oct 19, 2005 #14

Gold Member

you know what i mean.
  16. Oct 19, 2005 #15
    Not really.

Judicial activism is something to blame on "the courts," when a high-level judge takes it upon himself to interpret the constitution in some ridiculous way to obtain a certain end.

Whether or not someone is convicted of a crime is almost totally in the hands of the jury, unless there is some sort of manditory minimum sentence, in which case it's in the hands of the jury and the state legislature that passed said minimum sentence.
  17. Oct 19, 2005 #16
    Wow, you don't read the news do you? How about you back your claims with some evidence please.
  18. Oct 19, 2005 #17
    A judge can easily influence the manner in which court proceedings go, that's why it's their job to be impartial.
  19. Oct 19, 2005 #18
    Actually it did. Without the DNA from the dress no lie could have been proven. But basically, that is all a 40 million dollar witch hunt came up with, a lie about how a stain got on a blue dress.
  20. Oct 19, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't say that faith is returning but perhaps there is a little hope. Next I hope they get that little weasel ROVE...and Cheney, and Rummy, and then impeach Bush and arrest his father for putting Saddam in power in the first place, and finally, throw out everyone appointed by Bush, and then we will have a start.

Now excuse me while I tap dance on the table.
  21. Oct 19, 2005 #20

Gold Member

So when clinton came out in public and said he lied... he was just kidding?

Man... wrong time and place ot be telling jokes!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?