Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order

In summary: P_{n}^{-m}(x)=\frac{(-1)^{-m}}{2^{n}n!}\frac{1}{\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)^m}\left[(x^2-1)^n\right]=\frac{(-1)^{m}}{2^{n}n!}(1-x^2)^{\frac{-m}{2}}\frac{d^{m}}{dx^{m}}\left[(x^2-1)^n\right], which is the desired expression for P_{n}^{-m}(x).I hope this summary has provided a clear explanation and helped you in deducing the expression for P_{n}^{-m
Rulonegger

Homework Statement

I just need to deduce the expression for the associated Legendre polynomial [itex]P_{n}^{-m}(x)[/itex] using the Rodrigues' formula

Homework Equations

Rodrigues formula reads [tex]P_{n}(x)=\frac{1}{2^{n}n!}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^2-1)^n[/tex] and knowing that [tex]P_{n}^{m}(x)=(-1)^{m}(1-x^2)^{\frac{m}{2}}\frac{d^m}{dx^m}\left[P_n(x)\right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the expressions above mentioned i get [tex]P_{n}^{m}(x)=\frac{(-1)^m}{2^{n}n!}(1-x^2)^{\frac{m}{2}}\frac{d^{n+m}}{dx^{n+m}}(x^2-1)^n[/tex]
Then i see that -n≤m≤n, so the last expression must be useful to determine the [itex]P_{n}^{-m}(x)[/itex] polynomial, substituting m by -m, but i cannot find the relationship between the derivatives [itex]\frac{d^{n+m}}{dx^{n+m}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d^{n-m}}{dx^{n-m}}[/itex], that i know it must be [tex]\frac{d^{n-m}}{dx^{n-m}}(x^2-1)^n=(-1)^m\frac{(n-m)!}{(n+m)!}(1-x^2)^{m}\frac{d^{n+m}}{dx^{n+m}}(x^2-1)^n[/tex]
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your inquiry. I would be happy to assist you in deducing the expression for the associated Legendre polynomial using the Rodrigues' formula. The first step would be to understand the meaning and derivation of the Rodrigues' formula. This formula is a general expression for the Legendre polynomial P_{n}(x) of degree n, which can be obtained through the application of the n-th derivative of the function (x^2-1)^n. This function is known as the generating function for the Legendre polynomials.

Now, let's focus on the specific case of P_{n}^{-m}(x). As you have correctly mentioned, the associated Legendre polynomials have the form P_{n}^{m}(x)=(-1)^{m}(1-x^2)^{\frac{m}{2}}\frac{d^m}{dx^m}\left[P_n(x)\right]. However, in order to obtain P_{n}^{-m}(x), we need to substitute m by -m in this expression. This will result in P_{n}^{-m}(x)=(-1)^{-m}(1-x^2)^{\frac{-m}{2}}\frac{d^{-m}}{dx^{-m}}\left[P_n(x)\right].

Now, we can use the property of the derivative operator, which states that \frac{d^{-m}}{dx^{-m}}=\frac{1}{\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)^m}. Substituting this in the previous expression, we get P_{n}^{-m}(x)=(-1)^{-m}(1-x^2)^{\frac{-m}{2}}\frac{1}{\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)^m}\left[P_n(x)\right].

Next, we can use the Rodrigues' formula for P_{n}(x) to obtain P_{n}^{-m}(x)=(-1)^{-m}\frac{1}{2^{n}n!}\frac{1}{\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)^m}\left[(x^2-1)^n\right].

Finally, we can apply the chain rule to the derivative operator, which states that \frac{d}{dx}\left[f(g(x))\right]=f'(g(x))g'(x). Using this, we

1. What are Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order?

Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order are a special type of mathematical function used in spherical harmonics. They are derived from the more general Legendre polynomials and have negative integer indices, making them useful for solving problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. How are Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order calculated?

The formula for calculating Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order involves a combination of the more general Legendre polynomials and the gamma function. It can be quite complex and is often solved using computer software.

3. What are the applications of Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order?

Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order have many applications in physics and mathematics, particularly in problems involving spherical symmetry. They are used to solve differential equations, calculate electric and magnetic fields, and in quantum mechanics, among other areas.

4. Can Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order be used for non-spherical problems?

While Associated Legendre polynomials were originally developed for problems involving spherical symmetry, they can also be used for non-spherical problems by simply setting the appropriate parameters to zero. However, in these cases, other types of polynomials may be more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order?

One limitation of Associated Legendre polynomials for negative order is that they are only defined for integer indices. This can make them less flexible for certain types of problems. Additionally, their complexity can make them difficult to work with by hand, and computer software is often necessary for accurate calculations.