Assume P is a subset of Q

• Thread starter mateomy
  • Start date
In summary: This is easier to remember.)Let A be a nonempty subset of the real numbers. The least upper bound of A, sup A, is the unique number such that for all x in A, sup A is at least x, and if for all x in A, r is at least x, then r is at least sup A.
mateomy
If [itex] P\,\subset\,Q\,\subset\,\mathbb{R},\,P\,\neq\,emptyset [/itex] and P and Q are bounded above, show that sup P [itex] \leq [/itex] sup Q.

I can visualize the reality of this but I can't put it down nicely. This is what I've done so far:

Assume P is a subset of Q. Then sup P [itex] \in [/itex] Q. If Q is a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] then sup Q [itex] \in\,\mathbb{R}[/itex].

I don't know how convincing this is so any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

mateomy said:
If [itex] P\,\subset\,Q\,\subset\,\mathbb{R},\,P\,\neq\,emptyset [/itex] and P and Q are bounded above, show that sup P [itex] \leq [/itex] sup Q.

I can visualize the reality of this but I can't put it down nicely. This is what I've done so far:

Assume P is a subset of Q. Then sup P [itex] \in [/itex] Q. If Q is a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] then sup Q [itex] \in\,\mathbb{R}[/itex].

I don't know how convincing this is so any pointers would be appreciated.

If ##P=Q=(0,1)##, then ##\sup P\notin Q##, but you claim ##\sup\in Q##.

Try chopping defintion of supremum into two parts,

1. If ##x\in A##, then ##x\le\sup A##
  2. If ##r<\sup A##, then there is ##x\in A## such that ##r<x##.

In words, we can remember this as, least upper bound is

1. an upper bound
  2. the least such. I.e., any smaller number is not an upper bound.

Play with that, for ##P## and ##Q##.

Last edited:

So if I say something along the lines of:

If x [itex] \in [/itex] P then x [itex]\in[/itex] Q since we know that P [itex]\subset[/itex] Q. By the properties of upper bounds we can say that x < supQ, which supQ is also an upper bound of P. Since supP is the least upper bound of P we have supP < supQ.

It feels sloppy.

mateomy said:
So if I say something along the lines of:

If x [itex] \in [/itex] P then x [itex]\in[/itex] Q since we know that P [itex]\subset[/itex] Q. By the properties of upper bounds we can say that x < supQ,

Should say, ##x\le\sup Q##.

which supQ is also an upper bound of P.

Correct, with my correction.

Since supP is the least upper bound of P we have supP < supQ.

It is not clear how you came to this conclusion. Also, strict inequality would be false, since we could possibly have ##\sup P=\sup Q##

It feels sloppy.

Well, it is. Keep trying.

mateomy said:
which supQ is also an upper bound of P. Since supP is the least upper bound of P we have supP < supQ.

Oh, I just reread it, since supQ is an upper bound for P, and supP is the least such one, we must have supP≤supQ. So you basically had it.

Thanks for the help. This stuff is frustrating because I can visualize it and see why its true but putting it down on the paper is another beast altogether.

mateomy said:
Thanks for the help. This stuff is frustrating because I can visualize it and see why its true but putting it down on the paper is another beast altogether.

The devil is in the details.

People complain about proofs in math, but the alternative is 20 page papers for english, or 10 page technical papers in science. You want to find your niche in life, everybody's different.

In math, it is far too tempting to assume something that seems intuitive, that may for some strange reason in fact be false. Only when you go to try to prove it might we come closer to the fact that it is false. Sometimes, it takes a great deal of effort, alternately trying to prove or find a counterexample before we may know something better.

So it is a good skill if it is for you, and like Mr Miyagi basically said, it takes a lot of practice.

algebrat said:
Try chopping defintion of supremum into two parts,

1. If ##x\in A##, then ##x\le\sup A##
  2. If ##r<\sup A##, then there is ##x\in A## such that ##r<x##.

In words, we can remember this as, least upper bound is

1. an upper bound
  2. the least such. I.e., any smaller number is not an upper bound.

There is one more form that I like, which replaces the second condition with something like it's contrapositive, if for all x in A, r is at least x, then r is at least sup A.

1. What does it mean for P to be a subset of Q?

For P to be a subset of Q, it means that every element in P is also an element of Q. In other words, P is a smaller set that is completely contained within the larger set Q.

2. How can you prove that P is a subset of Q?

To prove that P is a subset of Q, you must show that every element in P is also an element of Q. This can be done by listing out the elements of P and Q and demonstrating that every element in P is also present in Q.

3. What is the difference between a proper subset and a subset?

A proper subset is a subset that is strictly smaller than the original set. This means that there are elements in the original set that are not present in the proper subset. A subset, on the other hand, can be equal in size to the original set.

4. Can a set be a subset of itself?

Yes, a set can be a subset of itself. This is known as a reflexive subset. For example, the set {1,2,3} is a subset of itself because every element in the set is also present in itself.

5. How does the concept of subset relate to other mathematical concepts?

The concept of subset is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as set operations, functions, and relations. It is also an important concept in topics like logic, set theory, and discrete mathematics.