Understanding Polarities in Inductors and Capacitors in KVL

• Thread starter the_kool_guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kvl
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in analyzing circuits with inductors and capacitors. The direction of the assumed current flow is important in determining the polarity of the voltage responses from the components. The characteristics of the inductor and capacitor also play a role in determining the polarity of the voltage changes. The initial conditions, such as the current and charge on the components, must be considered in order to accurately determine the direction of changes and write the corresponding differential equations.
the_kool_guy
i generally get confused in polarities of inductors and capacitors while doing KVL.
eg about a series RLC circuit ,the equation turns out to be ( Ldi/dt + iR + Vc = 0 )
this is the equation about assumed 'i' if we assume both capacitor and inductor in charging mode...
what if I assume inductor is discharging...then how can i reach the above equation...?

similar problem happens to me with circuits having only 1 active component...
can anyone enlighten me on this ..?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Writing KVL around a loop is all about recording the voltage "responses" of the components to the loop current. You take an assumed direction for the loop current and follow that direction around the loop. If you are given specifics about a given component being in the process of charging or discharging, then that only serves to determine the direction that you should assume for the current.

Resistors respond to the instantaneous value of the current with a voltage drop I*R. Inductors respond to the rate of change of the current and produce a drop of L*dI/dt. Note that the assumed direction of the current also specifies the direction (sign) of dI/dt --- positive is an increase in current in the direction of the assumed current.

how does assumed direction of current specifies di/dt...?

the_kool_guy said:
how does assumed direction of current specifies di/dt...?
An increase in current, di, is an increase in the same direction as the assumed current flow. A decrease is a change in the opposite direction. It's these increases or decreases which provoke the component's response in terms of voltage change, and thus the polarity of those changes.

i m not able to get...
in LCR circuit after having assuming direction of current say clockwise;
what will be the assumed polarities of inductor and capacitor knowing say initial capacitor voltage Vo

with initial capacitor voltage and direction of assumed current i can get sign of dq/dt
(depending upon current entering or exiting from positive plate ) but what about di/dt for inductor...?

The definition of the characteristics of the inductor give the answer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=38608&stc=1&d=1315320909.gif

An increase in the current i causes a voltage to appear across the inductor as shown. If di/dt were negative instead, then the resulting voltage polarity would be reversed, too.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    496 bytes · Views: 667
in the attached figure.., let i be in clockwise.
so how can i get di/dt ..
again when battery is removed how can i get di/dt..
cause it is what di/dt that will determine polarity of inductor

Attachments

• RLC_series_circuit.png
    RLC_series_circuit.png
    578 bytes · Views: 462
in this figure with assumed polarities and current how can i get the corresponding differential equation...?

Attachments

• RLC_series_circuit.png
    RLC_series_circuit.png
    500 bytes · Views: 459
When you're working from given initial conditions then you need to know something about the properties of the components.

Suppose that you being with the battery disconnected, no charge on the capacitor, and (obviously) no current at all flowing in the circuit. When the battery is first applied, the inductor resists change in current -- no current flows at the very first instant. But the current will be changing, increasing in the 'forward' direction, being driven by the polarity of the battery. This di/dt will cause a voltage to appear across the inductor according to v = L*di/dt. Initially this voltage will be equal in magnitude to the supply voltage.

The capacitor, being initially uncharged, will have zero volts across it at the first instant. As the current begins to flow, it will gradually build up a voltage. Eventually the capacitor will be fully charged with a voltage equal to the supply voltage. No further current will flow. With no current, the voltage across the resistor will be zero. With no change in current (di/dt) the voltage across the inductor will be zero.

When the battery is removed there will be no closed circuit -- no closed path for current to flow. So the capacitor will just sit there, fully charged.

the_kool_guy said:
in this figure with assumed polarities and current how can i get the corresponding differential equation...?

You need to state the initial conditions. Is there a current already flowing? Is the capacitor charged? If so, what is the polarity of the voltage on the capacitor?

The initial conditions will determine the 'directions' in which things happen.

ok i will try on a few questions , if doubt persists i will ask..
thanks

1. What are assumed polarities in KVL?

Assumed polarities in KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) refer to the direction of voltage across a component in an electrical circuit that is assumed for the purpose of applying KVL.

2. Why are assumed polarities necessary in KVL?

Assumed polarities are necessary in KVL because they allow us to correctly apply the law and solve for unknown voltages in a circuit. Without assumed polarities, the equation would not hold true.

3. How do you determine the assumed polarity for a component in KVL?

The assumed polarity for a component in KVL is determined by the direction of current flow in the circuit. If the current is entering the positive terminal of a component, the assumed polarity is positive. If the current is leaving the positive terminal, the assumed polarity is negative.

4. Can assumed polarities change in KVL?

Assumed polarities can change in KVL if the direction of current flow in the circuit changes. This can happen if the circuit is altered or if there are multiple sources of current.

5. How do assumed polarities affect the accuracy of KVL calculations?

Assumed polarities do not affect the accuracy of KVL calculations as long as they are applied correctly. If the assumed polarities are incorrect, the final solution will also be incorrect. It is important to double check the assumed polarities before solving the equation.