ASTM A997 structural steel properties

In summary, ASTM A992 is a standard that covers the material composition and mechanical properties of steel alloys, specifically for investment castings. It does not specify cross section requirements, which can be found in other standards such as ASTM A6. The yield strength for A992 is between 50-65 ksi and the ultimate strength is 450 MPa. The density of ASTM A992 steel is 7850 kg/m^3.
Starwatcher16
Is there any way I can find out the properties [without having access to the beam itself] of the ASTM A997 beam without subscribing to ASTM?

Specifically what I am interested in is the weight per foot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A 997 is for investment castings. Are you sure you don't mean A992?

Oppsie! Yes, I meant A992.

ASTM A992 covers the material composition and mechanical properties required. It does not make any specification for the particular cross section requirements. That is in something like ASTM A6. Do you have a particular beam in mind? But to not split hairs, A992 is going to weigh the same as A36 or any similar steels.

Could you give me a brief explanation of how ASTM is set up? I was under the impression ASTM A992 was referring to a particular beam (like a Wx22 for instance,+whatever material).

The only information I was suplied was the beams that are going to be used comply with ASTM A992 and F_y=50ksi

Is the F_y its yield strength?

Last edited:
The specs are VERY specific and usually narrow in scope. In this case, the A992 is only for the chemical composition that makes the alloy and the required mechanical properties of that particular alloy. So for A992, there are 2 tables called out; Table 1 is the chemical requirements and Table 2 is the tensile requirements.

Fy is yield strength, but for A992 it is 50-65 ksi at room temp.

ASTM A6/A 6M is a more of a standard that covers the allowable fabrication specs for shapes.

Starwatcher16: I agree with the posts by FredGarvin. The density of ASTM A992 steel is 7850 kg/m^3. When a tensile yield strength range is given in a material specification, the tensile yield strength for design and analysis is regarded to be the minimum value in that range, which is 345 MPa (50 ksi) for ASTM A992 steel. And the tensile ultimate strength is 450 MPa. These values are applicable from below room temperature up to 400 deg C.

Related to ASTM A997 structural steel properties

What is ASTM A997 structural steel?

ASTM A997 is a specification for high-strength, low-alloy structural steel that is commonly used in construction and other industrial applications. It is known for its superior strength, durability, and corrosion resistance.

What are the key properties of ASTM A997 structural steel?

The key properties of ASTM A997 structural steel include high tensile strength, excellent ductility, good weldability, and resistance to corrosion and fatigue. It also has a high yield strength, which makes it suitable for use in heavy-duty applications.

What are the common applications of ASTM A997 structural steel?

ASTM A997 structural steel is commonly used in the construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also used in the manufacturing of heavy equipment, such as cranes and mining machinery, as well as in the transportation industry for vehicle frames and chassis.

How does ASTM A997 structural steel compare to other types of steel?

Compared to other types of steel, ASTM A997 has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, meaning it can support heavier loads without being as heavy itself. It also has better corrosion resistance and can withstand harsh environmental conditions, making it a popular choice for outdoor structures.

What are the testing and certification processes for ASTM A997 structural steel?

ASTM A997 structural steel undergoes rigorous testing to ensure it meets the required standards for strength, chemical composition, and other properties. It is certified by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and must pass various tests, including tension, impact, and hardness tests, before it can be used in construction or other applications.