Astronaut travels to distant planet, finding age?

In summary, the mother returns home after a trip to a distant planet 10 light years away, 3 years younger than when she left.
theafonis

Homework Statement

A 26 year-old biologist makes a trip to study alien life forms in a distant planet 10 light-years away. The round trip including a stay of 1 year in the distance planet takes 21.5 years according to the clock on earth. The biologist’s son is 3 year-old when she left. Assume that the planet is not moving with respect to earth, and the speed is the same for both outbound and inbound part of the journey.

What is the difference in age between the mother and son after she returns back to earth?

Homework Equations

T' = T √(1-(v2 /c2))

The Attempt at a Solution

A. 7.0 years B. 16.8 years C. 23.0 years D. 30.0 years E. 37.0 years

The answer is 7 years according to the solution manual. I tried to find the speed of the astronaut, then plugged it into the relevant equation. I'm not sure how to find the speed of astronaut actually. I think I have to solve for the reference frame of the astronaut T, as T' is the frame of earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
theafonis said:
I'm not sure how to find the speed of astronaut actually.
Don't over-think it. You know the distance travelled. 10 light years out, 10 light years back. You know the time the journey took. 21.5 years minus the 1 year layover = 20.5 years.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Don't over-think it. ou know the distance travelled. 10 light years out, 10 light years back. You know the time the journey took. 21.5 years minus the 1 year layover = 20.5 years.
(20ly)/(20.5) = 0.97c
Using that, I solved for T to get 4.8 years. About 5 years to the astronaut's age is 31, and the son is 24.5, the difference is 7 then. I think this is correct.

I get exactly 4.5 years for the time the astronaut gets older while on the spaceship, while the son ages by 20.5 years => astronaut gets 31.5, son gets 24.5 => 7 difference.

The given options here are very convenient - once you see that the son will age more than the astronaut you are down to two options. The timescale suggests a trip very close to the speed of light, it is possible to see that the second option does not fit even without actual calculations, which just leaves one option.

Likes theafonis

1. What is the process of an astronaut traveling to a distant planet?

The process of an astronaut traveling to a distant planet involves several steps. First, the astronaut must undergo rigorous training to prepare for the physical and mental challenges of space travel. Then, they must launch from Earth using a spacecraft and navigate through the vastness of space. Finally, they must land on the distant planet using specialized equipment and technology.

2. How long does it take for an astronaut to travel to a distant planet?

The time it takes for an astronaut to travel to a distant planet depends on several factors, including the distance of the planet from Earth, the speed of the spacecraft, and the route taken. On average, it can take anywhere from a few months to several years for an astronaut to reach a distant planet.

3. What challenges do astronauts face while traveling to a distant planet?

Astronauts face numerous challenges while traveling to a distant planet. These include exposure to cosmic radiation, isolation and confinement, and the physical toll of microgravity. They also face the psychological challenges of being away from their families and loved ones for an extended period of time.

4. How does an astronaut determine the age of a distant planet?

An astronaut can determine the age of a distant planet through various methods. One way is by analyzing the composition and structure of the planet's surface and comparing it to other known objects in the universe. Another way is by studying the radioactive elements present on the planet, which can provide clues about its formation and age.

5. What impact does traveling to a distant planet have on an astronaut's body?

The impact of traveling to a distant planet on an astronaut's body can be significant. Exposure to microgravity can lead to muscle atrophy, bone loss, and changes in the cardiovascular and immune systems. The high levels of cosmic radiation can also increase the risk of developing cancer. However, with proper training and precautions, astronauts can mitigate these effects and maintain their overall health and well-being during their journey.