Astronaut's Apparent Weight in Different Gravitational Fields

In summary, to find the apparent weight of a 730-N astronaut when her spaceship has an acceleration of magnitude 2.0g, we use the equation Wapparent=m(g + a). When just above the surface of the Earth, the apparent weight is 2200 N, while far from any stars or planets, the apparent weight is 1500 N. This difference is due to the fact that in the first situation, the rocket thrust must balance the force of gravity in order to have 0 acceleration, while in the second situation, the rocket does not need to provide any thrust to maintain 0 acceleration.
sona1177

Homework Statement

What is the apparent weight of a 730-N astronaut when her spaceship has an acceleration of magnitude 2.0g in the following two situations:

a) just above the surface of the Earth
b) far from any stars or planets

Homework Equations

Wapparent=m(g + a)

The Attempt at a Solution

=2mg=2 * 74.5 * 9.8=1460 N. I guess this would be the answer to part b, away from stars or planets. My book says a) 2200 N and b) 1500 N (accounting for significant figures). But how do I do part a? I don't see the difference between being just above the surface of the Earth and far from any stars or planets.

Physics news on Phys.org
sona1177 said:

Homework Statement

What is the apparent weight of a 730-N astronaut when her spaceship has an acceleration of magnitude 2.0g in the following two situations:

a) just above the surface of the Earth
b) far from any stars or planets

Homework Equations

Wapparent=m(g + a)

The Attempt at a Solution

=2mg=2 * 74.5 * 9.8=1460 N. I guess this would be the answer to part b, away from stars or planets. My book says a) 2200 N and b) 1500 N (accounting for significant figures). But how do I do part a? I don't see the difference between being just above the surface of the Earth and far from any stars or planets.
Think of two situations: 1) when the astronaut is standing still, not accelerating; and 2) the case where he/she is accelerating at 2g.

Near the earth, in the first case (a = 0) the normal force (from the rocket thrust) must just equal the force of gravity, mg, in order to have 0 acceleration. In order to accelerate at 2g away from the earth, the force must be 2mg over the force required just to stand still.

If far from gravitational fields, the rocket does not have to provide any thrust in order to maintain 0 acceleration. So in order to accelerate at 2g the force just needs to be 2mg (ie 2mg over the force needed to maintain 0 acceleration).

AM

What is an astronaut's apparent weight?

An astronaut's apparent weight is the weight they experience while in orbit or in space. This weight is different from their actual weight on Earth due to the effects of microgravity.

How is an astronaut's apparent weight measured?

An astronaut's apparent weight is measured using a device called a scale. This scale takes into account the gravitational pull of the spacecraft they are in and the acceleration due to orbiting around the Earth.

Why does an astronaut's apparent weight change in space?

An astronaut's apparent weight changes in space because of the lack of gravity. In microgravity, objects appear weightless because they are constantly falling towards the Earth at the same rate as the spacecraft they are in.

How does an astronaut's apparent weight affect their movements in space?

An astronaut's apparent weight affects their movements in space because they have less resistance and friction to overcome. This makes it easier for them to move and perform tasks compared to on Earth where they would have to fight against the force of gravity.

Can an astronaut experience an apparent weight of zero in space?

Yes, an astronaut can experience an apparent weight of zero in space. This occurs when they are in a state of freefall, such as when they are orbiting the Earth. In this state, they would be weightless and feel as if they are floating.