Astronomy: Get Started with a Telescope Under £250

• Thread starter RZero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the person is getting back into Astronomy after 17 years and has purchased a cheap telescope for £23. They are now looking to buy a new one with a budget of £250 and are considering the Bresser Messier N130 and N150, as well as the NEXSTAR 130 SLT. They are also advised to join a local club before making a purchase.
RZero
I'm getting back into Astronomy after a short period (ok 17yrs ;) ) I've brought my self a very cheap telescope £23, its not the greatest but its some to get me started, but I am now in the process of looking at buying another one I have up to £250 to spend on a new one. Can anyone recommend a good one for this price, I've been looking at Bresser Messier N130 and may be at a push N150.
Also looking at NEXSTAR 130 SLT are these worthy of my hard earned cash.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Look for a local club to join before you buy a telescope.
Read the thread below about "cursed by my new telescope" for difficulties n setting one up yourself even after buying a good one.

First of all, welcome back to the world of astronomy! It's great to hear that you're getting back into it after 17 years. Investing in a new telescope is definitely a good idea, and with a budget of £250, you have a lot of options to choose from.

The Bresser Messier N130 and N150 are both good options within your budget. They have a decent aperture size for viewing planets and some deep-sky objects. However, keep in mind that these are Newtonian telescopes, which means they have a long tube and may not be the most portable option. If you're planning on taking your telescope to different locations, you may want to consider a more compact telescope.

The NEXSTAR 130 SLT is a great choice for a portable telescope. It has a computerized mount, which makes it easier to locate objects in the sky. However, the aperture size is slightly smaller than the Bresser Messier telescopes, so you may not be able to see as much detail on planets and deep-sky objects.

Ultimately, the best telescope for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. It's always a good idea to do some research and read reviews before making a purchase. You may also want to visit a local astronomy club or store to try out different telescopes and get some hands-on experience before making a decision.

In any case, with a budget of £250, you should be able to find a good quality telescope that will provide you with many hours of stargazing enjoyment. Happy hunting!

1. How much magnification does a telescope under £250 provide?

The amount of magnification a telescope can provide depends on its aperture, or the diameter of its primary lens or mirror. Most telescopes under £250 have an aperture of around 4-6 inches, which can provide magnification of up to 200x. However, keep in mind that high magnification does not always equal better viewing quality and can actually make images appear blurry. It is important to find a balance between aperture and magnification for the best viewing experience.

2. Can I see planets and galaxies with a telescope under £250?

Yes, you can see planets and galaxies with a telescope under £250. However, the quality of the images may not be as clear and detailed as those from more expensive telescopes. With a smaller aperture, the telescope may not be able to gather as much light, making faint objects like galaxies appear dim and blurry. But with proper viewing conditions and patience, you can still observe and appreciate these celestial objects with a budget-friendly telescope.

3. What type of mount should I look for in a telescope under £250?

There are two main types of telescope mounts: altazimuth and equatorial. Altazimuth mounts allow for easy vertical and horizontal movement, making them great for beginners and casual viewing. Equatorial mounts are designed to track the rotation of the Earth, making them better for astrophotography and longer viewing sessions. For a telescope under £250, an altazimuth mount is a more affordable and practical option. However, if you are interested in astrophotography, you may want to invest in a more expensive telescope with an equatorial mount.

4. Can I use a telescope under £250 to view deep sky objects?

Yes, you can use a telescope under £250 to view deep sky objects such as galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters. However, as mentioned earlier, the quality of the images may not be as clear and detailed compared to more expensive telescopes. It is important to manage your expectations and understand that budget-friendly telescopes may not have the same capabilities as higher-end models. But with proper viewing techniques and a dark, clear sky, you can still enjoy observing deep sky objects with a telescope under £250.

5. Do I need any additional accessories for my telescope under £250?

It depends on the type of telescope you have and your personal preferences. Some telescopes under £250 may come with additional accessories such as eyepieces, a finder scope, and a tripod. However, if your telescope does not come with these accessories, you may want to consider purchasing them separately to enhance your viewing experience. Other useful accessories for a telescope under £250 include a moon filter, a Barlow lens for increased magnification, and a dew shield to prevent moisture buildup on the lens. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which accessories you need based on your viewing goals and budget.