1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics Or Mech Eng

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    I'm going to go straight to the point, I LOVE astrophysics, I've been interested in astrophysics for quite a few years now and I'm thinking of doing my EPQ on astrophysics as well. This was until my parents pointed out that employability for an astrophysics degree(I want to do masters) is not...bad but hard. The fact is that I understand them and I kind of like engineering but I have more passion for astrophysics. The factors I really had to consider was:
    -Salary
    -Employment Opportunities - I don't wan't to move to the other side of the galaxy for a job
    -If I do an astrophysics degree how likely is it that I will get a job IN astrophysics and not finance or something
    I would appreciate any advice on this matter.
    Just for more information, I'm in year 12 doing physics, maths, further maths and chemistry and hoping for 2 A*s and 2 A's.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2015 #2
    Probably low, especially if you don't want to move far away and only want a master's degree. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but it is indeed a fact that astrophysics jobs are far less numerous than mechanical engineering jobs, and a lot of people want to be astrophysicists.

Not to say that's a reason not to do astrophysics. I'm just saying that you shouldn't count on only being content if you end up as an astrophysicist, because there are a lot of interesting jobs in just about any field.

4. Sep 20, 2015 #3
    Ok to say that truth I wouldn't mind too much if I don't get a job in astrophysics but it's just a smaller aspect of the whole picture that I want to consider. Thanks for the advice I will be taking that into consideration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook