Is an Astrophysics Degree a Practical Choice for My Career?

In summary, while doing an astrophysics degree may not have the best employability prospects, it is still a very interesting and passionate field.
Falconstorm
I'm going to go straight to the point, I LOVE astrophysics, I've been interested in astrophysics for quite a few years now and I'm thinking of doing my EPQ on astrophysics as well. This was until my parents pointed out that employability for an astrophysics degree(I want to do masters) is not...bad but hard. The fact is that I understand them and I kind of like engineering but I have more passion for astrophysics. The factors I really had to consider was:
-Salary
-Employment Opportunities - I don't wan't to move to the other side of the galaxy for a job
-If I do an astrophysics degree how likely is it that I will get a job IN astrophysics and not finance or something
I would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Just for more information, I'm in year 12 doing physics, maths, further maths and chemistry and hoping for 2 A*s and 2 A's.

Physics news on Phys.org
Falconstorm said:
-Employment Opportunities - I don't wan't to move to the other side of the galaxy for a job
-If I do an astrophysics degree how likely is it that I will get a job IN astrophysics and not finance or something

Probably low, especially if you don't want to move far away and only want a master's degree. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but it is indeed a fact that astrophysics jobs are far less numerous than mechanical engineering jobs, and a lot of people want to be astrophysicists.

Not to say that's a reason not to do astrophysics. I'm just saying that you shouldn't count on only being content if you end up as an astrophysicist, because there are a lot of interesting jobs in just about any field.

Ok to say that truth I wouldn't mind too much if I don't get a job in astrophysics but it's just a smaller aspect of the whole picture that I want to consider. Thanks for the advice I will be taking that into consideration.

Related to Is an Astrophysics Degree a Practical Choice for My Career?

1. What is the difference between astrophysics and mechanical engineering?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the universe, including its physical properties, motion, and behavior, using principles of physics and mathematics. On the other hand, mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools. While astrophysics focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena, mechanical engineering focuses on the design and operation of mechanical systems on Earth.

2. What are some career opportunities in astrophysics and mechanical engineering?

Career opportunities in astrophysics include research positions at universities, government agencies, and observatories, as well as teaching positions. Mechanical engineering offers a wide range of career options, including roles in product design, manufacturing, and research and development in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and robotics.

3. How does astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Astrophysics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by studying the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and black holes. This field also helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics and how they apply to the vastness of space.

4. What skills are important for a career in astrophysics or mechanical engineering?

For a career in astrophysics, skills in mathematics, physics, and computer programming are essential. In mechanical engineering, knowledge of physics, mechanics, and design principles are crucial, as well as proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and project management.

5. Are there any areas where astrophysics and mechanical engineering overlap?

There are some areas where astrophysics and mechanical engineering overlap, such as in the design and construction of instruments for space exploration and telescopes. Both fields also utilize similar mathematical and computational techniques for data analysis and modeling. Additionally, mechanical engineering principles are applied in the design and construction of spacecraft and satellites for space exploration.