Asymptotic Expansion Homework: I(x) Integral

• Thread starter the_kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an asymptotic expansion to all orders of I(x) as x approaches infinity. The first part of the conversation focuses on the use of Taylor series for e^x and ln(1+x) to rewrite the integral in terms of sums. The second part discusses how to integrate these sums term by term and the potential divergence of the series as x approaches infinity. Finally, the conversation ends with a question on how to multiply the two sums together since they have infinite terms.
the_kid

Homework Statement

Calculate an asymptotic expansion to all orders of I(x) as x-->infinity.

I(x)=[itex]\int^{\infty}_{0}[/itex]e^{-xt} ln(1+[itex]\sqrt{t})[/itex]dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure how to begin with this. I've read through the section on my book on asymptotics but am still confused. I think I need to expand the integrand as a Taylor Series.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the Taylor series for ex and ln(1+x)?

Zondrina said:
Do you remember the Taylor series for ex and ln(1+x)?

Yes.

e[itex]^{x}[/itex]=1+x+[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2!}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{x^{3}}{3!}[/itex]+[itex]\cdots[/itex]

ln(1+x)=x-[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{x^{3}}{3}[/itex]-[itex]\cdots[/itex]

the_kid said:
Yes.

e[itex]^{x}[/itex]=1+x+[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2!}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{x^{3}}{3!}[/itex]+[itex]\cdots[/itex]

ln(1+x)=x-[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{x^{3}}{3}[/itex]-[itex]\cdots[/itex]

Write them as sums for ease, remember though that the series for ln(1+x) does not exist at n=0 so start your series at n=1.

Now how can you re-write your integral so you can integrate term by term?

Zondrina said:
Write them as sums for ease, remember though that the series for ln(1+x) does not exist at n=0 so start your series at n=1.

Now how can you re-write your integral so you can integrate term by term?

How do I know where to truncate the Taylor series so that I can multiply them together?

So :

[itex]e^{-xt} = - \sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{xt}{n!}[/itex]

What happens when you evaluate the first sum? Can you re-write your sum then :)?

And :

[itex]ln(1 + \sqrt{t}) = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{t^{n/2}}{n}[/itex]

Zondrina said:
So :

[itex]e^{-xt} = - \sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{xt}{n!}[/itex]

What happens when you evaluate the first sum? Can you re-write your sum then :)?

And :

[itex]ln(1 + \sqrt{t}) = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{t^{n/2}}{n}[/itex]

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you clarify?

the_kid said:
Hmm, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you clarify?

What is the first term of the series of e-xt

Zondrina said:
What is the first term of the series of e-xt

I believe it is 1...

the_kid said:
I believe it is 1...

Oh a bit of a fumble earlier. Sorry it's 2am.

[itex]e^{-xt} = \sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{(-xt)^n}{n!}[/itex]

If the first term is 1, then re-write :

[itex]e^{-xt} = 1 + \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \frac{(-xt)^n}{n!}[/itex]

Zondrina said:
Oh a bit of a fumble earlier. Sorry it's 2am.

[itex]e^{-xt} = \sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{(-xt)^n}{n!}[/itex]

If the first term is 1, then re-write :

[itex]e^{-xt} = 1 + \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \frac{(-xt)^n}{n!}[/itex]

No worries!

OK, I've got that. I'm just not sure where to go from there.

Multiply the two sums of the integral together and then integrate term by term.

Zondrina said:

OK, simple enough. It looks like this series diverges when x tends to infinity, though? Is that expected?

the_kid said:
OK, simple enough. It looks like this series diverges when x tends to infinity, though? Is that expected?

Thinking about this, it seems to make sense. When x goes to infinity, the e^(-xt) becomes small quickly, and so the integral is dominated by the log term--but integrating that term from 0 to infinity diverges, so it makes sense that the expansion would diverge as x tends to infinity. Right?

I'm not sure, I didn't actually compute it, but by the looks of it I believe the integral will diverge.

Zondrina said:

How exactly do I multiply these two together if they have infinite terms?

1. What is an asymptotic expansion?

An asymptotic expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function, typically at large or small values of the independent variable. It involves breaking down a function into a series of terms, with each term becoming increasingly smaller or larger as the independent variable approaches infinity or zero, respectively.

2. Why is it useful in scientific research?

Asymptotic expansions can be used to simplify complicated mathematical expressions, making them easier to manipulate and analyze. They also allow for more efficient calculations and provide insight into the behavior of a function at extreme values.

3. How is an asymptotic expansion different from a Taylor series?

An asymptotic expansion and a Taylor series are both types of mathematical approximations, but they differ in their approach. A Taylor series is centered around a specific point and provides a local approximation, while an asymptotic expansion is based on the behavior of a function at extreme values and provides a global approximation.

4. What is the I(x) integral in an asymptotic expansion?

The I(x) integral, also known as the Laplace integral, is a type of integral used in asymptotic expansions. It is a special case of the Laplace transform and is used to calculate the coefficients of the asymptotic expansion.

5. How can I use an asymptotic expansion to solve a problem?

An asymptotic expansion can be used to solve problems in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be applied to calculate values that are difficult to obtain using other methods, or to gain a better understanding of the behavior of a function in a particular situation.