At any given instant, how fast might an electron be moving?

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the question is asking for the most probable speed of a proton or neutron confined in a region with diameter ##10^{-15}##m. The solution can be found using the equations ##E_{kmin}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2mL^2}## and ##\sigma_p=m\sqrt{\frac{\sum v^2}{n}}##, or by using the uncertainty principle ##\Delta x\Delta p\approx \frac{\hbar}{2}##. The standard deviation in momentum can be used as a proxy for the most probable speed in this case.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

This is problem 5-42 from Modern Physics by Tipler & Llewellyn. Neutrons and protons in atomic nuclei are confined within a region whose diameter is is about ##10^{-15}##m. At any given instant, how fast might an individual proton or neutron be moving?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
##m\approxeq 1.67\times 10^{-27}kg##

Looking at this question I would assume it is a particle in a one dimensional box with length ##10^{-15}##m. Therefore we can find the minimum speed for a proton or neutron by using the equations:
(1) ##E_{kmin}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2mL^2}##
(2) ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2=E_{kmin}##

which results in ##v_{min}=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar^2}{m^2L^2}}=\frac{\hbar}{mL}##

The solution manual however uses the uncertainty principle: ##\Delta x\Delta p\approx \frac{\hbar}{2}## then assuming the particle to be non-relativistic we have ##\Delta p=m\Delta v## hence we obtain
##\Delta v=\frac{\hbar}{2m\Delta x}##

This seems incorrect to me, the question is asking how fast a proton or neutron might be moving not the uncertainty in it's speed especially considering the uncertainty principle can be stated as
##\sigma_x\sigma_p\geq \frac{\hbar}{2}## where ##\sigma_x## is the standard deviation in position and ##\sigma_p## is the standard deviation in momentum. Why would we be using symbols that are defined as standard deviations to determine the minimum speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:
This seems incorrect to me, the question is asking how fast a proton or neutron might be moving not the uncertainty in it's speed
The point of the exercise is to show that the more a particle is constrained in space, the higher the probability that it will go fast, for which you need to use the uncertainty principle.

Potatochip911 said:
especially considering the uncertainty principle can be stated as
##\sigma_x\sigma_p\geq \frac{\hbar}{2}## where ##\sigma_x## is the standard deviation in position and ##\sigma_p## is the standard deviation in momentum. Why would we be using symbols that are defined as standard deviations to determine the minimum speed?
But the problem is not asking for the minimum speed. In a sense, it is asking for for the most probable speed, of which the standard deviation is a proxy.

Likes Potatochip911
DrClaude said:
The point of the exercise is to show that the more a particle is constrained in space, the higher the probability that it will go fast, for which you need to use the uncertainty principle.But the problem is not asking for the minimum speed. In a sense, it is asking for for the most probable speed, of which the standard deviation is a proxy.

Perhaps the non physics related statistics class I've taken is hindering my comprehension of this because normally the standard deviation is not a great predictor of the actual value.

Potatochip911 said:
Perhaps the non physics related statistics class I've taken is hindering my comprehension of this because normally the standard deviation is not a great predictor of the actual value.
Indeed. But here, the average momentum is zero, so the standard deviation will give you an idea of the possible range of momenta.

Likes Potatochip911
DrClaude said:
Indeed. But here, the average momentum is zero, so the standard deviation will give you an idea of the possible range of momenta.
Ok that's interesting. Then ##\sigma_p^2=\frac{\sum(p-\overline{p})^2}{n}=\frac{\sum p^2}{n}=\frac{\sum m^2v^2}{n}=\frac{m^2}{n}\sum v^2\Longrightarrow \sigma_p=m\sqrt{\frac{\sum v^2}{n}}##

So I can see why ##\sigma_v## would make sense for an approximate speed ##v##. I managed to find a portion in my textbook where they mention that they're leaving out a factor of 1/2 for the particle in a box because they're interested in the magnitude and my answer above is off by a factor of 1/2 so this is making a lot more sense now.

What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up an atom.

What determines the speed of an electron?

The speed of an electron is determined by the amount of energy it has. The more energy an electron has, the faster it moves.

Can the speed of an electron change?

Yes, the speed of an electron can change depending on its energy level. It can also be affected by external forces, such as electric and magnetic fields.

Is there a limit to how fast an electron can move?

The speed of an electron is limited by the speed of light, which is the fastest speed possible in the universe. However, in everyday scenarios, electrons typically move at speeds much slower than the speed of light.

How is the speed of an electron measured?

The speed of an electron is measured using specialized instruments, such as particle accelerators, that can detect and track the movement of individual electrons. Scientists can also calculate the speed of an electron using its energy and the fundamental laws of physics.