Atlas, next gen robot from Boston Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discussed the advancements in robotics and how it may lead to the rise of robots in the new generation. Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking have expressed their concerns about robot intelligence. The conversation also touched upon the idea of anthropomorphizing objects and the potential for a robot uprising. The conversation ended with a reference to an article discussing the artificial intelligence revolution.
Some really impressive movement!

Likes axmls
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's things like this that make be believe that while the last generation saw the rise of computers, our new generation will see the rise of robots. I'm seeing exciting advances in robotics all the time (though some have expressed their...concerns about robot intelligence, e.g. Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking).

Though I must admit, I felt a little bad for that robot near the end of the video. That's the kind of thing that'll cause the robot uprisings.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
axmls said:
That's the kind of thing that'll cause the robot uprisings.
That's what I was thinking too! Don't make it's memory chip too big! :nb):biggrin:

axmls said:
though I must admit, I felt a little bad for that robot near the end of the video.

Me too. Isn't it odd how quick we are to anthropomorphize (how many chances to you get to write that word out) things, like swearing at your toaster for burning your croissant.

But seriously, that video will be part of the robot propoganda campaign.

Fun article from Waitbutwhy
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

1. What is Atlas and what makes it a "next gen" robot?

Atlas is a humanoid robot created by Boston Dynamics. It is considered a "next gen" robot because it is the latest version of their advanced humanoid robots and incorporates new technologies and capabilities.

2. What are the main features and capabilities of Atlas?

Atlas is able to walk on two legs, balance itself on uneven terrain, and perform tasks with its arms and hands. It also has advanced sensors and cameras for perception, and is capable of autonomous navigation and manipulation of objects.

3. How is Atlas powered and how long can it operate for?

Atlas is powered by a rechargeable battery pack and has an estimated battery life of about 1 hour. However, this can vary depending on the tasks and movements it is performing.

4. What industries or applications can Atlas be used in?

Atlas has a wide range of potential applications, including disaster response, search and rescue, industrial and construction work, and even entertainment and education. It is designed to be versatile and adaptable for various tasks.

5. What are the potential benefits and concerns of using Atlas in society?

The potential benefits of Atlas include increased efficiency and productivity in industries, as well as the ability to perform tasks that are too dangerous or difficult for humans. However, there are also concerns about job displacement and ethical considerations when it comes to the use of advanced robots in society.