Can the Atmosphere Vortex Engine Generate Enough Power to Sustain a Small City?

In summary, Russ_watters said that a generator can produce on average 200 megawatts, just enough to power a small city. I'm not too sure why they use waste heat as opposed to other forms, but it says that they use warm seawater as well.
SpicyRamen
http://www.thestar.com/article/238291

Out of curiosity, in this article it says that a generator can produce on average 200 megawatts, just enough to power a small city. Does anyone know if they meant for a year or for a day?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A megawatt is a unit of power, not a unit of energy, meaning it is a continuous output (1 watt is 1 joule per second). So if it can put out 220 megawatts for a day, it can put out 220 megawatts for a year.

SpicyRamen said:
http://www.thestar.com/article/238291

Out of curiosity, in this article it says that a generator can produce on average 200 megawatts, just enough to power a small city. Does anyone know if they meant for a year or for a day?

After skimming the article, I'm a little unclear on two things:

(1) Is he talking about building cylinders 200m across and 1km to 20km tall to house the vortexes (make those planes dodge!), or is he intending to get vortexes spinning freely in the atmosphere, and pull energy out of the bottom of them?

(2) Does he talk about why extracting the thermal energy from the waste water in this way would be more efficient than other ways? Is he trying to get some extra energy from the atmosphere somehow, other than it being the cold side of the thermal conversion?

I was thinking the same thing - you can, of course, induce an updraft that when confined will continue to accelerate upwards (see the solar power tower). It would be interesting if a vortex could confine the updraft without a structure, but I have my doubts. If it does require a tower that tall, though, it would obviously be cost prohibitive.

http://vortexengine.ca/index.shtml
http://vortexengine.ca/VSC/AVE_WEB.pdf

These websites might give you a better understanding.
From the pdf file it shows a open roof and the tornado ascends miles into the sky.
From the previous link on THESTAR it says it's likely they'll create the AVE generator plants around the equator of the Earth where it'll be easier to form tornadoes because of the warm air currents but also because they can declare that area a no fly zone. Airplanes caught in a tornado, I think that'll make a spiffeh new ride at Disney.

Russ_watters, can you explain your previous comment about "So if it can put out 220 megawatts for a day, it can put out 220 megawatts for a year."
If the generator can produce 220 megawatts a day, that's a significant difference supposed to if it can produce 220 megawatts in the course of 365 days. I can grasp bits and pieces of what you're trying to say, but is still a little confused. >_<"

I'm not too sure why they use waste heat as opposed to other form. It says that they use warm seawater as well, but i guess they just wanted to put waste to good use. lol

SpicyRamen said:
Russ_watters, can you explain your previous comment about "So if it can put out 220 megawatts for a day, it can put out 220 megawatts for a year."
If the generator can produce 220 megawatts a day, that's a significant difference supposed to if it can produce 220 megawatts in the course of 365 days. I can grasp bits and pieces of what you're trying to say, but is still a little confused.
I said 220 megawatts for a day, not 220 megawatts a day. If your car goes 60 miles per hour for an hour, does it go 60 miles a day? Megawatts, like speed is a rate. For electricity, energy is megawatt-hours. A power plant that puts out 220 megawatts puts out 220 megawatt-hours every hour or 5280 megawatt-hours every day.

Sorry for taking so long, Been busy with school lately.
I appreciate your help, thanks.

1. What is an Atmosphere Vortex Engine (AVE)?

An Atmosphere Vortex Engine (AVE) is a type of renewable energy technology that harnesses the power of atmospheric vortices, or swirls of air, to generate electricity. It works by creating a controlled vortex using a series of vertical tubes, which are then used to drive a turbine and produce energy.

2. How does an Atmosphere Vortex Engine (AVE) work?

The AVE works by creating a vortex using a series of vertical tubes. As the air flows through the tubes, it creates a low-pressure area at the center of the vortex. This low-pressure area is then used to drive a turbine and generate electricity. The vortex is maintained by wind and can continue to produce energy as long as the wind is present.

3. What are the advantages of using an Atmosphere Vortex Engine (AVE) for energy production?

One major advantage of using AVEs is that they can be built in a variety of locations, including offshore, on land, and even on buildings. They also have a smaller environmental footprint compared to traditional wind turbines, as they do not require large blades or towers. Additionally, AVEs can operate at lower wind speeds and are less affected by changes in wind direction, making them more reliable sources of energy.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using an Atmosphere Vortex Engine (AVE)?

One potential drawback of AVEs is that they are a relatively new technology and are still in the early stages of development. This means that their efficiency and reliability have not yet been fully tested and optimized. Additionally, AVEs may not be suitable for all locations, as wind patterns and speeds can vary significantly depending on the geography and topography of the area.

5. Is the use of an Atmosphere Vortex Engine (AVE) environmentally friendly?

Yes, AVEs are considered to be a more environmentally friendly source of energy compared to traditional fossil fuels. They do not produce greenhouse gas emissions or air pollution, and their impact on local wildlife is minimal. However, it is important to note that the production and installation of AVEs may still have some environmental impacts, such as the use of resources and materials for construction.