Verify that the number of atoms Avagadro's constant

  • Thread starter Thread starter MotoH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atoms Constant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
MotoH
Messages
53
Reaction score
2
"verify that the number of atoms..." Avagadro's constant

Homework Statement



One mole of a substance is defined as an amount, in grams, numerically equal to its molecular mass expressed in amu. (when we refer to a chemical element and not a compound, we use the atomic mass.) Verify that the number of molecules (or atoms) in one mole of any substance is the same, and is equal to 6.0225 x 10^23. This number, called Avogadro's constant, is a very important physical constant.

****************
I've just started trying to learn physics, and this problem appeared in one of the questions that are at the end of each chapter.
The book is "Alonso-Finn Fundamental University Physics. Book 1: Mechanics"
The question is question number 2.8
I am taking a physics course next year and would like to learn as much as I can before I go into the class.

Homework Equations


Avogadro's Constant: 6.0225x10^23

Not sure what else is needed.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've attempted a couple times but, I am not sure how to set up an equation properly as to get a result. The problem states that it will work with any substance, although I've been told that it only works for carbon-12? [6.0225x10^23 = 1 gram so 1 gram X 12amu = 12grams]

Any and all help to point me in the right direction is appreciated!

Thanks, John.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Hi, welcome to PF.
Sounds like a bit of a circular argument.
1 mole is defined as 6.02E23 of anything, and an AMU is defined so that 6.02e23 of them is a gram.

The carbon bit is mostly for convenience. Atoms come in different isotopes with different nuber of nuetrons and so different AMU masses. Carbon is handy because its mostly C12 and its (farily) easy to separate out other isotopes
 


mgb_phys said:
1 mole is defined as 6.02E23 of anything, and an AMU is defined so that 6.02e23 of them is a gram.

Not exactly - mole is so far defined as

The mole is the amount of substance of a system which contains as many elementary entities as there are atoms in 0.012 kilogram of carbon 12; its symbol is “mol”.

(see http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si_brochure_8_en.pdf)

--
 


I've figured it out! Quite simple once I was pushed in the right direction.

Molar mass constant/ avogadro's constant or M(subscript)u/N(subscript)a