Atoms to Formula Units: Calculate Al2O3 Moles

In summary, to calculate the amount of aluminum oxide in a sample containing 8.29*10^25 total atoms, we first need to calculate the number of formula units. This can be done by dividing the number of atoms by Avogadro's number. The result is 1.38*10^2 formula units. Since one molecule of aluminum oxide has 2 Al atoms and 3 O atoms, we can calculate the number of moles by figuring out the proportions of Al and O in aluminum oxide. The final answer is 27.5 mol for the amount of aluminum oxide in the sample.
IamMoi

Homework Statement

A sample of aluminum oxide, Al2O3(s), contains 8.29*10^25 total atoms. Calculate the amount in moles of aluminum oxide in the sample. Hint: This is a two-step problem. Calculate the number of formula units first.

Homework Equations

N=N × N[itex]_{A}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

8.29×10[itex]^{25}[/itex] ( 1 atm/ 6.02 × 10[itex]^{23}[/itex])
=1.38× 10 [itex]^{2}[/itex]

The question mention that it has two steps but I do not know how..
The correct answer is 27.5 mol ...

Physics news on Phys.org
One molecule of aluminum oxide has 2 Al atoms and 3 O atoms. The sample contains 8.29*10^25 atoms, which includes both Al and O. This sample also represents X moles of aluminum oxide. Hint: figure out the proportions of Al and O in aluminum oxide.

1. What is the formula for calculating moles of Al2O3?

The formula for calculating moles of Al2O3 is number of atoms/molecules/ions x atomic/molecular/ionic weight. In this case, the formula would be (2 x atomic weight of Al) + (3 x atomic weight of O).

2. How do I convert from atoms to moles of Al2O3?

To convert from atoms to moles of Al2O3, you will first need to determine the number of atoms present in the sample. Then, use the formula mentioned in the previous question to calculate the number of moles.

3. Can I use grams instead of atomic weights in the formula?

Yes, you can use grams instead of atomic weights in the formula. However, you will need to convert the grams to moles using the molar mass of the compound.

4. How do I calculate the number of moles of Al2O3 in a given sample?

To calculate the number of moles of Al2O3 in a given sample, you will need to know the mass of the sample and the molar mass of Al2O3. Then, divide the mass of the sample by the molar mass to get the number of moles.

5. Can I use this formula for any compound?

Yes, this formula can be used for any compound. However, you will need to know the appropriate atomic weights or molar mass for the specific compound you are calculating.