Is the Universe Really Up for Sale on eBay?

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, a freak is auctioning off the universe. Some people are bidding on it, but the current high bidder is MisterLump77. What is interesting is that this bidder is responsible for most of the price increase.
meteor
There's a freak that is offering the whole Universe at an Internet auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7320784196&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&r<br%20/>d=1

Some pearls:
"I have listed it as an antique because it is approximately 14 billion years old."

"Since nobody as yet has officially claimed ownership of this wonderful universe, I have come to the realization that it is just as much mine as it is anyone else’s"

I find funny this offer, but much funnier the fact that actually there are people offering bids

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
haha return it for a universe of equal or greater value

Ha, I love it! This guy has Douglas Adams' sense of humor ... I wonder if this is some sort of tie-in with the movie? Thanks for giving me something to write about in my blog today. :smile:

He better not be selling off my corner of the universe! I'll sue!

lol :rofl: :rofl:. I can't believe people went for it. Its now at $230.00.

Anyone heard of Dennis Hope? He claims to own the moon. Governments recognize his claim. Supposedly the UN had decided that no nation can own property off of the Earth. The regulations do not prevent private citizens from owning such property. Mr. Hope has been selling pieces of the moon for 17 years now. Some of his clients include John Travolta and Tom Hanks.
You too can own a piece of the moon. Here is the site that sells lunar landscape. Pretty cheap too.
http://www.lunarregistry.com/?source=gmoon

Huckleberry said:
You too can own a piece of the moon. Here is the site that sells lunar landscape. Pretty cheap too.
http://www.lunarregistry.com/?source=gmoon
Hmmm, I don't think land on the moon will ever be worth much, not enough natural resources. Now, if there was a way to buy real estate on Mars ...

motai said:
lol :rofl: :rofl:. I can't believe people went for it. Its now at $230.00.
Yeah, I think I figured out why though. The current high bidder is 'misterlump77', and if you check the bid history you will see that this one bidder is responsible for most of the run-up in price. I checked his 'Me' page, he has a press release on there about his winning the World in an eBay auction. My theory is, this guy is a publicity seeker, and he figures that if he wins the Entire Universe in an auction, he can get the story into his local paper. The publicity is worth a few hundred bucks to him at least. After all, even Jay Leno has done a few skits about weird stuff on eBay. Maybe, in his mind, he has an outside shot of getting on the Tonight Show.

jma2001 said:
Yeah, I think I figured out why though. The current high bidder is 'misterlump77', and if you check the bid history you will see that this one bidder is responsible for most of the run-up in price. I checked his 'Me' page, he has a press release on there about his winning the World in an eBay auction. My theory is, this guy is a publicity seeker, and he figures that if he wins the Entire Universe in an auction, he can get the story into his local paper. The publicity is worth a few hundred bucks to him at least. After all, even Jay Leno has done a few skits about weird stuff on eBay. Maybe, in his mind, he has an outside shot of getting on the Tonight Show.

Yeah, that seems like something someone would probably do. I was thinking the same thing in terms of the Jay Leno thing.

motai said:
Yeah, that seems like something someone would probably do. I was thinking the same thing in terms of the Jay Leno thing.
Now the real genius in all this is the guy who dreamt up the auction in the first place. He stands to make a few hundred bucks off some nutty publicity seeker just for typing up a fake deed to the universe. Why can't I come up with business schemes like that? :uhh:

Last edited:
jma2001 said:
Hmmm, I don't think land on the moon will ever be worth much, not enough natural resources. Now, if there was a way to buy real estate on Mars ...
I think someone has already laid claim to the solar system. I couldn't find any information on it. Didn't look very hard. I wouldn't take such claims seriously.

jma2001, I remember seeing a guy on the tonight show who claimed to have the property rights to ... something in space. I can't seem to remember what he claimed to own. It could have been Dennis Hope, or it could have been some guy claiming to own the solar system. Maybe Mr. Hope owns it all. I wasn't paying much attention because I considered it mostly a joke, but there should be a record of the guy on the Jay Leno show.

Huckleberry said:
I think someone has already laid claim to the solar system. I couldn't find any information on it. Didn't look very hard. I wouldn't take such claims seriously.
Don't worry, I'm not taking it seriously. I was just expressing, in a roundabout way, my preference for Mars vs. the moon, especially where NASA exploration budgets are concerned.

Since the universe hasn't been claimed, it's legaly possible for somone to do so. :approve:

Damn, ebay stopped it... :frown:

Just in case, I hereby lay claim to the multiverse.

I will now accept bids from interested parties. All bids should be in dollars per cubic lightyear. Please specify the universe of choice.

This is not AS outgoing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5579382165&rd=1

yomamma said:
This is not AS outgoing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5579382165&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5577795202&rd=1

I sold my surplus ego on ebay a couple of weeks ago. The highest bid was £7.50. The guy never paid up though...

LeBrad said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5577795202&rd=1
damn people are stupid, $16000!

1. What does it mean to "auction off the universe"?

"Auctioning off the universe" refers to the hypothetical scenario where all of the objects and resources in the universe are put up for sale to the highest bidder. This would include planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

2. Who would be able to participate in this auction?

In theory, anyone with the means to bid on such a grand scale could participate in the auction. This could include individuals, corporations, governments, and other organizations.

3. How would the auction be conducted?

The logistics of such an auction are uncertain, as it is purely hypothetical. However, it could potentially be conducted through a combination of online bidding platforms, live auctions, and private negotiations.

4. What would be the purpose of auctioning off the universe?

The purpose of this scenario is purely speculative and has no practical application. It is often used as a thought experiment to explore concepts of ownership, value, and the limitations of human comprehension.

5. Is it actually possible to auction off the universe?

No, it is not possible to auction off the entire universe. The vastness and complexity of the universe make it impossible to determine ownership and value of all its components, and the logistics of such an endeavor would be impossible to manage. This scenario is purely hypothetical and has no basis in reality.