1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Augmented matrices word problem - tiny issue

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello!
    Here is the problem from Stitz-Zeager Pre-calculus book:

At 9 PM, the temperature was 60F; at midnight, the temperature was 50F; and at 6 AM,

the temperature was 70F . Use the technique in Example 8.2.3 to t a quadratic function

to these data with the temperature, T, measured in degrees Fahrenheit, as the dependent

variable, and the number of hours after 9 PM, t, measured in hours, as the independent

variable. What was the coldest temperature of the night? When did it occur?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is about the number of hours as undependable variable:

do you think authors mean x1=9, x2=3, x3=9 by saying "the number of hours after 9PM"? Or do you think it should be x1=9, x2=0, x3=6, or x1=9, x2=12, x3=6?
    I am confused :)

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

FWIW, 'undependable variable' = independent variable, in English. 'undependable' also means 'unreliable'.

I'm afraid the wording of the problem is rather clear: the times are supposed to be taken as hours after 9 pm. You seem to want to impose your own time scale on the problem, using midnight as the origin of the time axis. So, for the reading taken at 9 pm, t = 0 hours, and the for reading taken at midnight, t = 3 hours. Eazy, peazy.

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3
    Right! :) Thank you, SteamKing! And sorry for the typo - I can't find the way to edit that now; of course, it is "independent".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted