Exploring the Mystery of the Northern Lights

In summary, the northern lights are created when waves in the Earth's magnetic field reflect waves from the sun. The waves cause the atmosphere to glow and the solar wind can cause fluctuations in the aurora.
RubinLicht
How do the northern lights work?

I have already know why it emits light, but why in waves? Why does it move? Are the particles that excite oxygen the ones that were deflected, or the ones that were already heading straight towards the Arctic Circle? Feel free to post any questions as they come up and I'll edit it into the post.

Physics news on Phys.org
The waves in the aurora reflect waves in the Earth's magnetic field. The particle spiral in along the magnetic lines of force and the aurora forms as they impinge upon the atmosphere.

As a charged particle moves in a magnetic field its component of motion along the field line is unchanged but the perp. component is rotated about the field line. A particle moving perp to a uniform field will move in a circle, if it's moving parallel it moves in a straight line. The usual mixture of perp and parallel components yields a helical motion. In general the axis of motion will be exactly along a field line but collisions allows ions to "jump" to another field line orbit.

Also since the moving charged particles constitute an electric current, they will contribute to the magnetic field themselves if the particle flux is significant you can get some rather complex interaction between magnetic field and this plasma. (Note how volatile and chaotic the sun's surface can become!)

That's the gist of what I understand about them, someone more dedicated to their study could give you far more info I'm sure.

Likes Tazerfish, fresh_42 and RubinLicht
jambaugh said:
The waves in the aurora reflect waves in the Earth's magnetic field. The particle spiral in along the magnetic lines of force and the aurora forms as they impinge upon the atmosphere.

As a charged particle moves in a magnetic field its component of motion along the field line is unchanged but the perp. component is rotated about the field line. A particle moving perp to a uniform field will move in a circle, if it's moving parallel it moves in a straight line. The usual mixture of perp and parallel components yields a helical motion. In general the axis of motion will be exactly along a field line but collisions allows ions to "jump" to another field line orbit.

Also since the moving charged particles constitute an electric current, they will contribute to the magnetic field themselves if the particle flux is significant you can get some rather complex interaction between magnetic field and this plasma. (Note how volatile and chaotic the sun's surface can become!)

That's the gist of what I understand about them, someone more dedicated to their study could give you far more info I'm sure.
Would be excited to see if anyone could expand on this, thanks a lot.

Have you seen videos of solar prominences? They are very dynamic. It would be reasonable therefore to expect the solar wind to arrive at Earth in puffs, and waves, with varying speeds and directions. Those small variations should cause corresponding variations in the aurora. I visualize the analogy of sunlight reflected from the surface of a choppy sea.

Likes Tazerfish
anorlunda said:
Have you seen videos of solar prominences? They are very dynamic. It would be reasonable therefore to expect the solar wind to arrive at Earth in puffs, and waves, with varying speeds and directions. Those small variations should cause corresponding variations in the aurora. I visualize the analogy of sunlight reflected from the surface of a choppy sea.

Ah, that is what I figured but I wasnt so sure about it. Now I'm more certain, thanks!

What causes the Northern Lights?

The Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, are caused by the interaction between charged particles from the sun and the Earth's magnetic field. When these particles enter the Earth's atmosphere, they collide with gas particles, causing them to emit light.

Why are the Northern Lights different colors?

The colors of the Northern Lights are determined by the type of gas particles that are being hit by the charged particles from the sun. Oxygen typically produces green and red lights, while nitrogen produces blue and purple lights.

When and where is the best time to see the Northern Lights?

The best time to see the Northern Lights is during the winter months, when the nights are longer and the sky is darker. The best places to see them are in the northern latitudes, such as Alaska, Canada, and Scandinavia.

What is the scientific significance of studying the Northern Lights?

Studying the Northern Lights can help scientists better understand the Earth's magnetic field and its interactions with the sun. It can also provide insights into the effects of solar activity on our planet and how it can impact technology and communication systems.

Can the Northern Lights be harmful to humans?

The Northern Lights do not pose any direct harm to humans. However, the charged particles that cause them can interfere with satellite and radio communications, and can also cause disruptions in power grids. It is important for scientists to continue studying the Northern Lights to better understand these potential impacts.