Automobile turn signal isolated circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses adding a heads up display to a noisy sports car using a separate circuit to pick up fluctuating current from the turn signals and using a coil and relay to activate a light in the driver's field of view. The suggestion is to connect a low power light bulb between the two existing brake lights on the rear of the car, with the new indicator light blinking with the turn signal. This will also serve as a way to detect if one of the rear bulbs is burned out.
kansasspyder5
How many out there have hearing problems? Can you suggest a way to add heads up display to a noisy sports car? Old sports car I am constructing uses one light bulb [on each side, at the rear] to indicate 1. turnsignal 2. braking 3. nighttime driving. I figure, if I can create a separated circuit to pick up fluctuating current on and current off, I can use this sensor to light a bulb nearer to my field of view.
My idea on capturing fluctuating turnsignal is to put a coil in the existing circuit to make a fluctuating magnetic field. This would induce a current in an intertwined coil. That would be one level of isolation. Second, the output of the second coil would enter a relay to switch on and off a light in my field of view.
Will this work? what type of coils would i need. what type of relay would I use [momentary to momentary?]

Engineering news on Phys.org
The simplest way is connect a low power light bulb between the two lights on the rear of the car.

----L-----------B----------R----

Where 'L' and 'R' are the existing brake lights and 'B' is your new indicator light. 'B' will be off when both brake lights are either On or Off. When turn signal (one brake light) is on, 'B' will be on, blinking with the turn signal. If 'B' operates when one turn signal is blinking but not when the other turn signal is blinking, then one of the rear light bulbs is burned out.

The reason for making 'B' a low power bulb is so it does not draw enough current to light the Off turn signal.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is an automobile turn signal isolated circuit?

An automobile turn signal isolated circuit is a system that allows the turn signals on a vehicle to operate independently from other electrical circuits. This means that if there is a problem with one turn signal, it will not affect the functioning of the others.

2. How does an automobile turn signal isolated circuit work?

An automobile turn signal isolated circuit works by using a separate power source and control unit for each turn signal. This ensures that each signal can function independently and is not affected by any issues with other electrical systems on the vehicle.

3. Why is an isolated circuit important for turn signals?

An isolated circuit is important for turn signals because it ensures that they will continue to function properly even if there is a problem with other electrical systems on the vehicle. This helps to improve safety and prevent accidents on the road.

4. How is an automobile turn signal isolated circuit installed?

An automobile turn signal isolated circuit is typically installed by a professional mechanic or electrician. It involves connecting the circuit to the turn signals, power source, and control unit, and ensuring that all connections are secure and properly insulated.

5. Are there any maintenance or troubleshooting tips for an automobile turn signal isolated circuit?

To maintain an automobile turn signal isolated circuit, it is important to regularly check the connections and wiring for any signs of damage or wear. If the turn signals are not functioning properly, it may be a sign of a problem with the circuit and it should be inspected by a professional. Additionally, it is important to follow manufacturer guidelines for any maintenance or troubleshooting procedures.