Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Autoreel/Autowind/Tether System

1. Aug 10, 2014 #1
    I am looking for a tether system so I can make a connection to the seabed from the sea surface. Does a system like these exist as I do not know what they are called or how would one make such a system.

The tether would need to auto adjust depending on the depth and movement to keep the tether relatively tight kind of like a winch but allowing freedom of movement on the other end.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2
    This is called an anchor. Due to the nature of the sea bed, anchors with tight cables tend to fail under the transient loads caused by surface waves so most anchor cables are very long (typically at least three times the depth) so there is no need to adjust the length for the relatively minor depth changes experienced in open sea.

4. Aug 11, 2014 #3
    Thanks for replying. It has to auto reel in similar to that of a vacuum cleaner cord or a tape measure. Length of cord must be about 20 metres plus. Is this possible? Or do I need electric motors for this?

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4

olivermsun

Science Advisor

What are you trying to install?

6. Aug 11, 2014 #5
    Electric winches are commonly used to retrieve anchors.

7. Aug 12, 2014 #6
    Yes but they do not allow freedom of movement and would seize when force is pulling cord away.

8. Aug 12, 2014 #7
    In practical anchoring systems freedom of movement is provided by the weight of the anchor chain. This may be augmented by using a "chum" or "angel".

Use a search engine to learn how anchoring systems work and why they work that way before you try to come up with a new design.

9. Aug 12, 2014 #8
    Ok I will do thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook