Auxiliary Equation with Imaginary Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses the coverage of different types of Linear Differential Equations with Constant Coefficients, particularly Hyperbolic Functions and exponential functions with imaginary roots. The lecturer only covered the first two types of Auxiliary Equations in the introductory course, but not the imaginary roots. The conversation also touches on converting solutions using Euler's equation and separating them into real and imaginary parts. The person also mentions taking a Complex Variables course in the future, which will likely cover these topics.
cronxeh
Gold Member
I was curious about what class would cover those types of Linear DE w Constant Coeff, particularly Hyperbolic Functions and exp z type of things. I remember my lecturer said back in Intro DE that we only covered first 2 types of Auxiliary Equations - real distinct roots and real repeated ones, but not the imaginary roots because they are 'out of the scope of this course' :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
On any Differential Equations course, or ODE course.

It's almost exactly the same, but some times you use the different form by the identity:

[tex]e^{x + iy} \equiv e^x \left( \sin y + i \cos y \right)[/tex]

Cronxeh, when you have imaginary roots to an equation, then the solution is of the form:

[tex]y(x)=c_1e^{(a+bi)x}+c_2e^{(a-bi)x}[/tex]

(and other more complex expressions for repeated complex roots)

You can convert this using Euler's equation:

[tex]e^{(a+bi)x}=e^{ax}\left(Cos(bx)+iSin(bx)\right)[/tex]

to an expression containing exp's, sin's and cos's. Still have the i though. Can you separate the converted expression into a real part and imaginary part like:

[tex]y(x)=r(x)+iv(x)[/tex]

If you do, you'll get something like:

[tex]i(c_1-c_2)[/tex]

as a coefficient on the imaginary part. But that's a constant, call it [itex]k_2[/itex]. Now the solution is:

[tex]y(x)=k_1r(x)+k_2v(x)[/tex]

See how that works?

Ah thanks. I didnt have time before but now that I'm home I did some digging and found those functions covered in this course:
http://www.wellesley.edu/Math/Math208_310sontag/Homework/hwk6.html

I'm taking Complex Variables in Fall, guess we'll be covering those then

Last edited by a moderator:
" I remember my lecturer said back in Intro DE that we only covered first 2 types of Auxiliary Equations - real distinct roots and real repeated ones, but not the imaginary roots because they are 'out of the scope of this course' "

That's a pretty weak D.E. course- even for "Intro". I would hope that your school also has a higher level D.E. course.

we cover imaginary roots but not from cauchy-euler equations, and this course is only 2 credits and lasts half a semester anyway

HallsofIvy said:
" I remember my lecturer said back in Intro DE that we only covered first 2 types of Auxiliary Equations - real distinct roots and real repeated ones, but not the imaginary roots because they are 'out of the scope of this course' "

That's a pretty weak D.E. course- even for "Intro". I would hope that your school also has a higher level D.E. course.
We covered exactly the same in Calc A at University. Excpet is was all done in 30 miniuites and our Tutor is so slow at ocvering stuff it missed out loads. I'm so glad I did Further Maths at A Level.

1. What is an auxiliary equation with imaginary roots?

An auxiliary equation with imaginary roots is a polynomial equation that is used to solve for the roots of a differential equation with complex solutions.

2. How do you determine the roots of an auxiliary equation with imaginary roots?

The roots of an auxiliary equation with imaginary roots can be determined by using the quadratic formula, where the discriminant is negative. This results in complex roots in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. Why are imaginary roots important in solving differential equations?

Imaginary roots are important in solving differential equations because they represent complex solutions that cannot be expressed in terms of real numbers. These solutions are often necessary in many scientific and mathematical applications.

4. What are the graphical representations of imaginary roots?

Graphically, imaginary roots of an auxiliary equation will result in a conjugate pair of complex numbers on the complex plane. This means that the roots will lie on the imaginary axis and will be reflections of each other across the real axis.

5. Can an auxiliary equation have only imaginary roots?

Yes, an auxiliary equation can have only imaginary roots. This means that the solutions to the differential equation will be in the form of complex numbers and there will be no real solutions. This is often the case for higher order differential equations with complex coefficients.