QUESTION:What is the bird's average acceleration along its flight path?

In summary, the question asked for the average acceleration of a bird flying from position A to position B along a given path. By calculating the x and y components of the bird's velocity at each position and using the formulas v=at and x=.5at^2, two possible answers were obtained: 0.8 m/s(2) at 60 degrees N of E and 1.5 m/s(2) at 60 degrees. Further calculations may be needed to determine the correct answer.
Imperil
Hi! I am new here and can't for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong solving this problem, if someone could help that would be great!

QUESTION:
A bird takes 8.5 s to fly from position A (va= 4.4 m/s (31 ° S of E) to position B(vb= 7.8 m/s ( 25° N of E) along the path. Find the bird's average acceleration.

MY ANSWER
vax/va = cos31
vax = 3.8 m/s

vay/va = sin31
vay = -2.3 m/s

vbx/vb = cos25
vbx = 7.1 m/s

vby/vb = sin32
vby = 3.3 m/s

ax = vbx - vax / t
ax = 7.1 m/s - 3.8 m/s / 8.5s
ax = 0.4 m/s(2)

ay = vby - vbx / t
ay = 3.3 m/s + 2.3 m/s / 8.5s
ay = 0.7 m/s(2)

a(2) = ax(2) + ay(2)
a(2) = 0.16 + 0.49
a = 0.8 m/s(2)

tan(theta) = ay / ax
tan(theta) = 0.7 m/s(2) / 0.4 m/s(2)
tan(theta) = 1.75
theta = 60 degrees

Therefore the bird's acerage acceleration is 0.8 m/s 60 degrees N of E.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the correct answer?

The correct answer isn't actually listed so I'm not sure what it is, my answer just does not seem right to me as the angle seems wrong.

Hmm, I came up with .8 m/s/s also, and I did that even before I looked at your answer, so I don't know.

Well I thought I was correct with the .8 m/s/s but what I really wasn't sure about was the 60 degrees N of E. Thanks for trying it out btw!

I also used v=at and x=.5at^2. I now came up with 1.5 m/s/s at 60 degrees. So now I'm stuck between which answer it is.. But I do believe it's 60 degrees.

Hmm how did you come up with 1.5 m/s/s if I may ask?

I took the x and y components of each vector and used x=vt. I then found the x and y components of the distance. I found the change in distances of each vector to get the resultant vector (distance). I then used x = .5at^2 and used the time above to get 1.5 m/s/s at 60 degrees. But I think I did something wrong with the math because you'd think it'd come out to be .8 m/s/s again.

Great thanks so much for the help, I'll do it over again just to see if I get 0.8 or 1.5, but I'm glad we come out with the same angle.

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes over a specific period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a specific period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall idea of the change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration gives the exact acceleration at a particular moment.

What are some real-life examples of average acceleration?

Some examples of average acceleration in everyday life include a car accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in a certain amount of time, a rollercoaster accelerating down a hill, or a person running and gradually increasing their speed.

How is average acceleration represented graphically?

Average acceleration is represented graphically by a line on a velocity vs. time graph. The slope of this line represents the average acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a higher acceleration and a flatter slope indicating a lower acceleration.

What are the units of average acceleration?

The units of average acceleration are distance over time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2). This is because acceleration is a measure of how much velocity changes over time.