Average acceleration problem

In summary, the average speed of a nitrogen molecule in air is 6.70 multiplied by 102 m/s with a mass of 4.68 multiplied by 10-26 kg. To calculate the average acceleration of the molecule during a time interval of 1.80 multiplied by 10-13 s, the formula a = Δv/Δt can be used. The average force exerted by the molecule on the wall can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where m is the mass of the molecule and a is the average acceleration. Additional resources such as the equations for accelerated motion and the relationship between acceleration and slope on a velocity graph can aid in solving this problem.
okool

Homework Statement

The average speed of a nitrogen molecule in air is about 6.70 multiplied by 102 m/s, and its mass is about 4.68 multiplied by 10-26 kg.

(a) If it takes 1.80 multiplied by 10-13 s for a nitrogen molecule to hit a wall and rebound with the same speed but moving in an opposite direction (assumed to be the negative direction), what is the average acceleration of the molecule during this time interval?

(b) What average force does the molecule exert on the wall?

Homework Equations

I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to attempt

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't help much without seeing some effort from you.
It is accelerated motion. Have you any formulas for accelerated motion? Look for one with a change in velocity, Δv or Vf - Vi in it because you are given those values.

Obviously I've already exhausted all the resources I have and all the methods I've tried do not work or else I would not be here...the only formula I have with that is v^2-v_0^2=2a(x-x_0) but I don't have x...not sure what v and v_0 are either..

There is a decent set of equations here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html

Note that it uses V and Vo instead of Vf and Vi.
It says "acceleration is the slope on the velocity graph", which means a = Δv/Δt, a nice variation on the formulas it has with the V and Vo. Think of Δv as Vf - Vi. And Δt is just t if you are starting out at time zero.

There is a nice set of formulas and their derivations here:
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Motion_-_Kinematics#Motion_with_constant_acceleration

Last edited:
this problem.

As a scientist, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic physics principles and equations in order to solve problems like this. In this case, we can use the equation for average acceleration:

Average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time interval

(a) To find the average acceleration of the nitrogen molecule, we first need to calculate the final velocity. Since the molecule rebounds with the same speed in the opposite direction, its final velocity will be -6.70 x 10^2 m/s. The initial velocity is 6.70 x 10^2 m/s, and the time interval is 1.80 x 10^-13 s. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

Average acceleration = (-6.70 x 10^2 m/s - 6.70 x 10^2 m/s) / (1.80 x 10^-13 s)

= -2 x 10^15 m/s^2

Therefore, the average acceleration of the nitrogen molecule during this time interval is -2 x 10^15 m/s^2. This means that the molecule is decelerating at a very high rate.

(b) To find the average force exerted by the molecule on the wall, we can use Newton's second law of motion:

Force = mass x acceleration

The mass of the nitrogen molecule is 4.68 x 10^-26 kg, and we just calculated the average acceleration to be -2 x 10^15 m/s^2. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

Force = (4.68 x 10^-26 kg) x (-2 x 10^15 m/s^2)

= -9.36 x 10^-11 N

Therefore, the average force exerted by the nitrogen molecule on the wall is -9.36 x 10^-11 N, which means that the molecule is exerting a very small force on the wall.

In conclusion, by using basic physics principles and equations, we were able to find the average acceleration and force of a nitrogen molecule bouncing off a wall. It is important for scientists to have a strong understanding of these principles in order to solve problems and make accurate calculations.

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the measure of how much the velocity of an object changes over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration considers the total change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration only measures the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

How do you calculate average acceleration?

To calculate average acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time interval. The formula is: average acceleration = (change in velocity) / (change in time).

What are some real-life examples of average acceleration?

Some examples of average acceleration in everyday life include a car accelerating from rest to a certain speed, a rollercoaster accelerating up a hill, and a person running and gradually increasing their speed.

Why is average acceleration important in science?

Average acceleration is important in science because it helps us understand the motion of objects over time. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to study and analyze various phenomena, such as the motion of planets, the speed of vehicles, and the acceleration of particles in a chemical reaction.