Average acceleration race horse problem

In summary, the problem asks to find Secretariat's average acceleration for the entire race, assuming his instantaneous speed at the finish line was the same as his average speed during the final quarter mile. However, the given answer of 2.391 ft/s^2 does not match the correct answer due to incorrect unit conversion. The method used is to divide the final speed by the sum of all four quarter mile times. The question may be poorly worded, as multiple attempts have been made using different interpretations of the given information.
galuda

Homework Statement

Secretariat ran the Kentucky derby with time for the quarter mile of 25.2s, 24s, 23.8s, and 23s. Assuming that secretariat's instantaneous speed at the finish line was the same as the average speed during the final quarter mile, find his average acceleration for the entire race.

Homework Equations

average velocity=distance/time
acceleration=change in velocity/time

The Attempt at a Solution

Got the first part of this problem right which was just what was his average speed during the first quarter mile in ft/s. That was just 1320ft/25.2. Now the way i read this part of the question was using his average velocity for the final quarter mile which would be 1320/23 = 57.3913ft/s find his average acceleration for the entire race which would then be 57.3913/average time for all 4 1/4mile runs. However the answer i get of 2.391m/s^2 is not the right answer. Can anyone tell me how I am reading this question wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
57.3913 [tex]\div[/tex] 24 [tex]\neq[/tex] 2.391 METRES S[tex]^{-2}[/tex].

Rather it is equal to 57.3913 FEET S[tex]^{-2}[/tex].

What you want to do then is convert into metres per second squared
(I would usually stick to metres from the very start... 1609 metres per mile)

I'm assuming the method is right, for the horse accelerating from speed 0 to the
final speed.

Sorry i mean it is equal to 2.391 FEET [tex]^{-2}[/tex]

Sorry i mean it is equal to 2.391 FEET [tex]^{-2}[/tex].

I'm just wondering also whether you might want to divide by the sum of the times if you were looking at it in the sense that he starts at speed 0 and gets to a speed 57.3913 (as he does this over the entirity of the race, and i assume that's what's meant by average acceleration)

Well they want the answer in ft/s^2 which is why I didn't convert to meters, but I've also tried it using your last posted method prior to asking for help and that doesn't work either. I think the question is just worded poorly, because I've tried it every way I can think of trying to make the words work, but it just doesn't work.

Thanks though.

1. What is the "Average acceleration race horse problem"?

The "Average acceleration race horse problem" is a physics problem that simulates a race between two horses with different average accelerations. It is used to demonstrate concepts such as average velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. How is the "Average acceleration race horse problem" solved?

The problem is solved by using the formula vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The total displacement of the horses is also calculated using the formula d = vit + 1/2at^2.

3. What information is needed to solve the "Average acceleration race horse problem"?

To solve the problem, you will need to know the initial velocities and average accelerations of both horses, as well as the time it takes for the race to finish. This information can be given in a table or in a word problem.

4. Can the "Average acceleration race horse problem" be solved without using math?

No, the problem involves using mathematical equations to calculate the final velocity and displacement of the horses. However, the concepts behind the problem can be understood without using math.

5. What are the real-world applications of the "Average acceleration race horse problem"?

The problem can be used to understand and analyze the motion of objects with varying accelerations, such as vehicles on a road or athletes in a race. It can also be applied in engineering and sports training to optimize performance and efficiency.