Average and instantaneous velocity(Orginal right?)

• Thread starter Crusaderking1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of average and instantaneous velocity for a car traveling along a straight road, with its distance from a traffic light given by the equation x(t) = bt^2 - ct^3. The student was advised to take the derivative of the function to find the instantaneous velocity at different times, and to use the first derivative test to find the time when the car is at rest. The final result was an average velocity of 0.3 for the given time interval.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its distance from the light is given by x(t) = bt^2 - ct^3, where b = 2.40 m/s^2 and c = 0.100 m/s^3.

1. Calculate the average velocity of the car for the time interval t = 0 to t = 10.0 s.

2. Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the car at t=0s.

3. Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the car at t=5.00 s.

4. Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the car at t=10.0 s.

5. How long after starting from rest is the car again at rest?

Homework Equations

x2-1/t2-t1

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I was wondering what the x-values were since I think change in time is just x2-x1/10.0 seconds.

2,3,and 4, do I just plug t into the equation bt^2 - ct^3?

5. No idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Avg. Velocity is just the slope of the line between those two points when t=1 and t=10.

For 2,3, and 4, you want the instantaneous velocity. You need to take the derivative of the function that is giving you distance, and plug the time values into that to get the instantaneous velocity at those times.

For number 5 you need to think what "at rest" is. When something is "at rest" is has no velocity right? If the original function is giving you distance, the max/min points (and any constant line) is where the car or whatever it is, is not moving. Doesn't the first derivative test in calculus handle this?

QuarkCharmer said:
Avg. Velocity is just the slope of the line between those two points when t=1 and t=10.

For 2,3, and 4, you want the instantaneous velocity. You need to take the derivative of the function that is giving you distance, and plug the time values into that to get the instantaneous velocity at those times.

For number 5 you need to think what "at rest" is. When something is "at rest" is has no velocity right? If the original function is giving you distance, the max/min points (and any constant line) is where the car or whatever it is, is not moving. Doesn't the first derivative test in calculus handle this?

Ok thanks, I will try to work it out.

I take calculus simultaneously with physics, as advised by my adviser. Needless to say, physics moves much faster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh I see.

You might want to just watch the videos on finding the derivative through use of the "power rule" on khan academy or something real fast. That will allow you to solve this problem. The derivative as a function will give you the instantaneous change in y over the change in x. So really, after differentiating the function you are left with another function that will tell you the slope of the original function at time t. In the first derivative test, you simply set the first derivative to 0 and solve for t. This will tell you the time when velocity is 0, (when the thing is at rest).

QuarkCharmer said:
Oh I see.

You might want to just watch the videos on finding the derivative through use of the "power rule" on khan academy or something real fast. That will allow you to solve this problem. The derivative as a function will give you the instantaneous change in y over the change in x. So really, after differentiating the function you are left with another function that will tell you the slope of the original function at time t. In the first derivative test, you simply set the first derivative to 0 and solve for t. This will tell you the time when velocity is 0, (when the thing is at rest).

Yes, I was successful at finding all of the instantaneous velocities, so thanks for that!

So I have to use the derivative 2bt-3ct2 and differentiate it for the slope(average velocity)?

(t=5, x=16.5) and (t=10, x= 18), so would a point-intercept slope equation not find me the slope(cant because its a curve right)?

Last edited:
I received 0.3 for the slope(average velocity). Is that right?

1. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time.

2. How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time. The formula for average velocity is: v = Δx / Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

3. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position over a period of time.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the negative direction at a specific moment in time.

5. How is average velocity used in real life?

Average velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. For example, it is used in calculating the average speed of a car during a trip, the average velocity of a projectile, or the average speed of an athlete during a race.