What's the Average GPA at Your School?

In summary, there is a discussion about conducting a poll to estimate the average GPA at a particular school. However, there are challenges in comparing the data as not all schools have the same academic structure. Despite this, the poll results are still expected to be interesting. There is also a mention of some departments having higher average GPAs than others, and some speculation on the average GPA being around 3.0. However, it is acknowledged that it varies depending on the major.

Whats your guess of the average GPA at your school

• >3.5

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 3.3-3.4

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 3.1-3.2

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 2.9-3.0

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • 2.7-2.8

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 2.5-2.6

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 2.3-2.4

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 2.1-2.2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.9-2.0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <1.9

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
JSBeckton
Again. there are a number of shortcummings of a poll of this nature but just for fun, what you you estimate is the average GPA at your particular school? I think it would be interesting to compare these numbers to the other poll about personal GPA's. (i.e. school of engineering or school of physics, not total school, the school of arts will throw everything off)

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortuantly, not all schools have a "school of physics." At many of the universities I have come in contact with over the years, physics is normally smack dab in the middle of the college of liberal arts and sciences. So this poll is going to be quite scewed.

With that said, if you just did a school of engineering (which is common), then I see no problem with the poll.

(Not trying to be a "downer," as the poll's results will be interesting).

I considered just engineering, but I know that many, if not most of the posters are not engineering majors.

Its not ideal, I wish that there was conclusive data like this available to the public. Perhaps someone has a reference?

I know at my school, the requirements for honors difffer between the sub-schools because of the higher grades in the liberal arts/business schools etc.

I was just curious because I saw on the other poll that a majority had at least a 3.7 and in my school, a 3.7 would put you in the top 9%. So am I to assume that the average poster on this board is in the 6% at their school or do the average grades at most schools exceed the averages at mine?

Last edited:
I really have no idea, I would guess somewhere around 3.0 maybe?

my school's a liberal arts school so there are no breakdowns by schools of engineering and such. our average for the entire school is about 3.2 i think, but there are some ridiculous departments such as education and speech path where the average gpa is 3.7. i think the average for upper level physics (any physics that requires calculus) is 2.6.

Word around campus is that average math major GPA is a 2.4. Nope, we don't grade inflate.

Looking at the physics courses I've taken (my college publishes avg class gpa of each course), it's around 2.5.

it depends on the major. we did such a survey a while back and some majors had average major gpa of about 3.9, and others, like math, had around 2.5, as i recall.

What is the average GPA at your school?

The average GPA at our school is a 3.0. This number is based on the GPAs of all students who attend our school.

How is the average GPA calculated at your school?

The average GPA is calculated by taking the total number of grade points earned by all students and dividing it by the total number of credit hours attempted.

Does your school have a minimum GPA requirement for graduation?

Yes, our school does have a minimum GPA requirement for graduation. In order to graduate, students must have a GPA of at least 2.0.

Is the average GPA at your school higher or lower than other schools in the area?

The average GPA at our school is comparable to other schools in the area. However, it is important to note that GPAs can vary depending on the grading system and academic rigor of each school.

How does the average GPA at your school compare to previous years?

The average GPA at our school has remained relatively consistent over the years. However, small fluctuations may occur due to changes in the student population and curriculum.