Calculating Average Height of a Constricted Hemisphere

In summary, to find the average height of the surface z=sqrt(a^2-x^2-y^2) constrained by the cone x^2+y^2<=a^2 in the xy plane, one can convert the Cartesian equations to cylindrical coordinates and use the formula for average height, which is equal to (1/area)*double integral of region R [z]rdrdpheta. It may be helpful to replace z with its equivalent in terms of the surface and use polar coordinates for integration. Also note that the region being integrated over is a hemisphere, not a cone.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

find the anverage heigh of z=sqrt(a^2-x^2-y^2) constricted by the cone x^2+y^2<=a^2
in the xy plane

Homework Equations

Average Height =(1/area)*double integral of region of [z]drdpheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to solve this problem can you please point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
How about converting your Cartesian functions over to cylindrical coordinates?

converted the cartesian equations to polar and used the 1/area*double integral of region R [z]rdrdpheta. I am having much difficulty integrating r*sqrt(a^2-r^2). i tried a trig substitution but don't know how to finish from there. please help me!

replace z in that "1/area*double integral of region R [z]rdrdpheta" you wrote by what it is equal to looking at the surface. then you can use polar coordinates.

If it's any help, you aren't integrating over a cone, you are integrating over a hemisphere.

1. What is the formula for calculating the average height of a cone?

The formula for calculating the average height of a cone is (2/3) x (radius) x (height). This formula takes into account the slant height and the base radius of the cone.

2. How do you measure the height of a cone?

The height of a cone is measured from the center of the base to the highest point of the cone. This can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape.

3. Can the average height of a cone be negative?

No, the average height of a cone cannot be negative. The height of a cone is always a positive value, as it is a measure of distance.

4. Does the average height of a cone change if the radius changes?

Yes, the average height of a cone will change if the radius changes. The formula for calculating the average height takes into account the radius, so any change in the radius will result in a change in the average height.

5. How does the average height of a cone compare to its volume?

The average height of a cone does not directly affect its volume. The volume of a cone is calculated using the formula (1/3) x (pi) x (radius^2) x (height), which includes the height of the cone. However, the average height can indirectly affect the volume if it is used in the calculation of the radius or slant height.