1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Value and Area in Polar

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let Q be the region bounded by r=sin(3θ) in the first quadrant. Find the area of Q. Find the average distance of points in Q from the origin.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I could calculate area like so:
    [tex]\int_0 ^{pi/3} \int_0 ^{sin(3θ)} sin(3θ) dr dθ[/tex] This gives answer [tex]π/6[/tex]But if I calculate area via a single integral, I have,[tex]\int_0 ^{pi/3} (1/2) (sin(3θ))^2 dθ = π/12[/tex]So clearly I am not doing something correctly in my calculation of the area.

I'm not quite sure how to begin finding the average distance, but I assume I'll have to divide by the area at the end.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your mistake is that you have sin(3θ) as both the integrand and as one of the limits of integration. Your integrand should be 1, and dA should be r dr dθ. With that change, after doing the inner integration, you get the same integral as below.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What he said - also, I thought the first quadrant was 0-pi/2

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It is, but as θ ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/3, 3θ ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], hence r goes from 0 to 1 and then back to 0. Neither of the other two petals on this three-petaled rose is in the first quadrant, so the integration limits of 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex]/3 are fine.

6. Dec 1, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

r is the distance from the origin, so you want to calculate the average value of r. That's given by
    [tex]\langle r \rangle = \frac{1}{A} \int r\,dA[/tex]where A is the total area and dA is the area element Mark gave above.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah - serves me right for not following my own advice and sketching it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook