Average value of a function over involving triple integral

In summary, the average value of a function over a solid is defined as f = 1/Volume int int int f(x,y,z) dV. To find the average value of the function f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z over the region enclosed by the paraboloid z = 1-x^2-y^2 and the plane z = 0, one can convert to polar coordinates and integrate over the boundaries 0≤r≤1 and 0≤θ≤2*pi. This gives the region under f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z. It is important to note that the volume under f(x,y,z) is not being found
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

We define average value of function over a solid to be f = 1/Volume int int int f(x,y,z) dV

So find the average value of the function f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z over the region enclosed by paraboloid z = 1-x^2-y^2 and the plane z = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually, solving this (I don't think) is much of a problem. I get answer 1/12. But I can't intuitively understand what is going on when/if I convert to polar to solve this problem.

For example, I convert z = 1 - x2 - y2 and get z = 1 - r2

Why should integrating this region (multiplied by r) in the boundaries 0≤r≤1 and 0≤θ≤2*pi give the region under f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z? How is the information f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z incorporated into these boundaries? Or have I actually done this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh! Wait! We're not trying to find the volume under f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z, are we? Indeed, we want to find the volume of z = 1-r^2. Right?

Okay, I think this makes intuitive sense.

What is the average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral?

The average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral is the average of the function's values over that region. It represents the overall value of the function within the given region.

How is the average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral calculated?

The average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral is calculated by dividing the total value of the function over the region by the volume of the region. This can be represented mathematically as the integral of the function over the region divided by the volume of the region.

What is the significance of the average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral?

The average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral is significant because it can represent important information about the behavior and properties of the function within that region. It can also be used in applications such as calculating average temperatures or concentrations in a three-dimensional space.

Can the average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral be negative?

Yes, the average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral can be negative. This indicates that the overall value of the function within the region is negative, which can have important implications in certain contexts and applications.

Are there any limitations to using the average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral?

One limitation of using the average value of a function over a region involving a triple integral is that it may not accurately represent the behavior of the function in certain cases, such as when the function is highly discontinuous or has extreme values within the region. Additionally, the calculation of the average value may be difficult or impossible in some cases due to the complexity of the function or region.