1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average value of a function over involving triple integral

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We define average value of function over a solid to be f = 1/Volume int int int f(x,y,z) dV

So find the average value of the function f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z over the region enclosed by paraboloid z = 1-x^2-y^2 and the plane z = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Actually, solving this (I don't think) is much of a problem. I get answer 1/12. But I can't intuitively understand what is going on when/if I convert to polar to solve this problem.

For example, I convert z = 1 - x2 - y2 and get z = 1 - r2

Why should integrating this region (multiplied by r) in the boundaries 0≤r≤1 and 0≤θ≤2*pi give the region under f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z? How is the information f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z incorporated into these boundaries? Or have I actually done this wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2
    Oh! Wait! We're not trying to find the volume under f(x,y,z) = x^2z+y^2z, are we? Indeed, we want to find the volume of z = 1-r^2. Right?

Okay, I think this makes intuitive sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook